my other hobby... hotrods!

Non members can enter here but to read only.
Describe your non biking hobby here (keep it clean) and post a few pics if applicable but please make sure they are not massive and don't overload it with pics

Moderators: suzukigoof, b00geyman, novocaine, jaz66, rodge, badanimal

sqweaka

my other hobby... hotrods!

Post by sqweaka »

hi guys for as long as i can remember ive allways been into cars, as a kid i would play for hours on the carpet with dinkies and corgies, one i had some money coming in i was of modifing and playing around the real thing. ive had loads of different makes over the years, but hardly ever left them standerd! right so here's what ive been building for the last year or so.. ive not done a lot on it for a while as i found a new interest thats been taking up a bit more of my building time (rf900) but im still on it!!
here is a link to my build on another forum i use
http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/garage/un-popular-6665

as well as building that project, im also collecting parts for the next one which is a more traditional build... a 1928/29 ford model A roadster pickup, it will be built in the style of a car built by returning GI's just after ww2 and raced on the dry lakes etc in the early days of hotroding.. wll thats the plan at this stage but things change in time
heres a couple of images to give you an idea of what im aiming for

novocaine

Re: my other hobby... hotrods!

Post by novocaine »

Very nice. Will look through your build thread later.

I'm all for moding in the right way ( I don't class sticking plastic bits to a saxo as the right way)
jaz66 wrote:Carbon fibre....It's just corduroy for vehicles.... :))
jaz66

Post by jaz66 »

interesting post sqweaka,

had friends when younger who were into this, although tbf it was the
old moggies....

he was aiming for something like this..

i think the pops were just too expensive

remember doing the chelsea cruise back in the day in something similar to this
big old tank that he acquired....

a mighty fine beast, and i would have loved it, but he was like Novo, that just buying a nice
car and sticking a few bits on it didn't make it any more special.

think he went on to custom a 'bench seat consul' if i recall :-?

that engine look very impressive
dick faber

Post by dick faber »

jaz66 wrote:interesting post sqweaka,
remember doing the chelsea cruise back in the day in something similar to this
big old tank that he acquired....

how the hell did a hd holden station wagon end up over there?!?!

that is a rather ordinary australian family estate from 1965; in fact it was the car i came home from the hospital!, except the one i came home in was the cooking model, the x2 (179 engine, twin carbies, 4 speed opel transmission, wide wheels (it was 1965, they were 5.5 inches wide!) and disc brakes on the front!)

http://holdenpaedia.oldholden.com/Holden_History_HD
http://flic.kr/p/8VHX8r
I am a bilingual illiterate; i can't read or write in two different languages
chromedome

Post by chromedome »

dick faber wrote:how the hell did a hd holden station wagon end up over there?!?!
It was probably driven all the way. Remember, this was from the last days when cars were built well and to last, as opposed to the tacky-put-it-together-with-super-glue-plastic-fantastic-but give-it-air-con-and-a-fancy-sound-system-and-wireless-internet garbage that seems to pass muster at present.

Bit of a generalisation I know, but the number of old cars from the last 20 year span is low, and the number of drivers who can't/won't concentrate on driving for fiddling with all the gadgetry in there....
dick faber

Post by dick faber »

chromedome wrote:
dick faber wrote:how the hell did a hd holden station wagon end up over there?!?!
It was probably driven all the way. Remember, this was from the last days when cars were built well and to last, as opposed to the tacky-put-it-together-with-super-glue-plastic-fantastic-but give-it-air-con-and-a-fancy-sound-system-and-wireless-internet garbage that seems to pass muster at present.

Bit of a generalisation I know, but the number of old cars from the last 20 year span is low, and the number of drivers who can't/won't concentrate on driving for fiddling with all the gadgetry in there....
you're not kidding about the lack of dash entertainment

and these things were built like bomb shelters, you could hit a brick wall and still drive home
I am a bilingual illiterate; i can't read or write in two different languages
jaz66

Post by jaz66 »

tbf DF, you are right.

i was looking for an american station wagon, a ford i think
but the only pics i could find were on flickr...so no piccies

that was the closest i could get to what i meant

the car was close to this but in black... :-B
yank tank
markbubble

Post by markbubble »

cool,i had a 55 choped sit up and beg for a few years(was already rodded when i got it but i did loads to make it 'my own')i was gutted when i sold it about 5 years ago(to fund moving !) been looking for another one to use/do but prices silly at moment!have fun with your toys!