A Little bike ride.

Non members can enter here but to read only.
Describe your non biking hobby here (keep it clean) and post a few pics if applicable but please make sure they are not massive and don't overload it with pics

Moderators: suzukigoof, b00geyman, novocaine, jaz66, rodge, badanimal

Batmancaver

A Little bike ride.

Post by Batmancaver »

Well in a moment of insanity for the 2nd time I entered the Coed-y-Brenin Enduro.
Now that's a mountain bike enduro not a motorbike one, so in other words I was the engine.

Well it can't be that bad now, can it?

Well the route started from Coed-y-Brenin mountain bike centre and took in 60km of the local countryside. Yes 60KM!!

Oh and on top of that there was approximately 1735m ascended and 1770m descended!!!

No wonder my legs felt like jelly after the event.
I think the worst bit was that you rode through the car park at one point but knew that the route carried on for at least another 10km. I could almost see my car and it was very tempting to call it a day, but I persevered and made it to the end, albeit I was just about the last one! Not that I care - I finished!!!

This is a GPS log of the route thanks to Paul one of the other riders for that: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1769707

And a couple of professional snaps of me on the way round:

And at long last (6 1/2 hours of riding later) at the finish, but still with a mile to go to get back to the car! I may have been absolutely knackered but I still had the energy to smile!

I've got to say a big thanks to the organisers for sorting out such a fantastic route. Okay, I didn't enjoy the uphills too much but the descents along forest tracks, over rock steps, down over gnarly tree rooted descents, mossy forest tracks were superb And one descent can only be described as being like a narrow deer track traversing a 70 degree slope - I do some silly things on my mountainbike but that was scary!!

I did the 30km route last year and ended up replacing the drivetrain and headset as they'd eventually reached the end of their life.
This year I need new grips, a new saddle, a new rear derailleur and a new rear wheel!!!

I think next year it'll be cheaper just to go and watch!!
Last edited by Batmancaver on Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R-dubya
Off Road Advisor

Re: A Little bike ride.

Post by R-dubya »

Wow!!! Sounds like you did really well to finish ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^
I'm up... I'm dressed... what more do you want?
jaz66

Post by jaz66 »

6..bloody 0 kms.... :pale:

congrats on finishing no matter where you were in the field :ymapplause:

^:)^
Jelly
Resident Troll

Post by Jelly »

Well done Karl, ^:)^ Whats next the Iron Man?

http://ironman.com/#axzz28DHEi9yW
"Now...say my name"

"It's......Heisenberg"

"You're God damn right"
Drac
Location: South Gloucestershire (5m to Bristol & 13m to Bath)

Post by Drac »

Brilliant Karl - wish I was able to do that - but at my time of life it's feet up, remote control and slippers...............

But I am fighting it =))
Woody

Post by Woody »

Nice one. I didn't think anyone still used the red Panaracers (if that's what they are?) ^:)^
Batmancaver

Post by Batmancaver »

You Anorak!!!

=)) =))

Yes they are Panaracer Fire XC.
I tried them a few years ago and for my stile of riding they're grrrreat!!
Other than some Tioga's I not used any other type since.
Woody

Post by Woody »

You Anorak!!!

=)) =))
I'm glad I didn't comment on the neoprene shock covers too #:-s =))
alien937

Post by alien937 »

Well done! that's 37miles off road on a pushbike! I couldn't manage that, are you allowed to stop for a fag? :))
Batmancaver

Post by Batmancaver »

Well the event results are out and my official timings are:

Route Position: 265
Rider No: 230
First name: Karl
Surname: Martin
Route: 60km
Category: Male 40+
Category Position: 104
Finish Time: 18:32:40
Duration: 8hr 2min 40sec

I'm pleased with that even if there were only 266 finishers in total !!!

At least it means I wasn't last!!

In comparison a friend of mine finished in 5hr 8min 45sec and came first in the Female 18-40 category :D

And the first over the line?

Well he was in the Male 18-40 category and he completed the 60km in 3hr 22min 24sec :o :o :o
EO

Post by EO »

Good for you! I really mean it. I wouldnt have had the breath to catch the bus to the top, let alone crack on with that :shock:
There comes a point...

Oh and if you can keep your head while those around you are losing theirs, then you have obviously mis-read the situation

You say Saga? I say Bupa ;) Mwahahahaha
novocaine

Post by novocaine »

well done fella, next year, rigid with no gears. :D beats replacing stuff all the time, lol.

(note: I'll join you if you do it as a single speeder, you can keep the suspension)

alien, i'm still on panaracers too, albeit mine are all black now, still the best all round tyre out there if you ask me.
jaz66 wrote:Carbon fibre....It's just corduroy for vehicles.... :))
Woody

Post by Woody »

There appear to be at least 3 mtb'ers here. Just wondering if there are any others and what mtb sites (if any) you frequent?
Batmancaver

Post by Batmancaver »

Well for me it's a simple choice.

Occasional visits to the Gwydyr Forest and the Marin Trail, Coed Llandegla and Grisedale and The North Face Trail.

Mainly though my playground is the Clwydian Range ( http://ridenorthwales.co.uk/ )
Although I really enjoy the man-made trails I much prefer the natural ones and all of their natural hazards.

^._.^
novocaine

Post by novocaine »

dont really do cycle forums, i find they are full of kids with mummy and daddy's money and no sense of reality.

for me it's all about the riding, so i tend to hit the peaks, lakes or local trails a lot, living in the cheshire plains means there isn't much to keep you entertained so you ride trails a lot because they lead somewhere mildly interesting.

not in to cycle parks either i'm afraid, went to coed y brenin a few times before it became massive (thanks MBUK).

think i fall in to the oddball mountain biker, i ride a steel single speed everywhere, normally rigid unless i'm expecting to have to work then i stick a set of z5s on the front.

it's not just mountain bikes either, I have a few road bikes, a BMX, a recumbent (when i put it back together, got no space) a few folders and stupid chopper, I want to build an ordinary next. =))
Woody

Post by Woody »

Good stuff. I try to avoid the cycle forums but tend to get drawn in to STW - at least they have recently got rid of many of the dickheads that ruined it for most normal bikers!

Not a fan of trail centres either, went to Glentress about 9 years ago and have given them a miss since but Hamsterley is on my doorstep and loads of other natural stuff nearby.

I also have a couple of s/s on the go at any one time which I've ridden for 12+ years and have just 'winterised' my Sanderson Life so it's rigid with some forks from a 29'er. Will probably stick to that and my Scott cx for next few months and leave the Maverick full bouncer in the garage till spring. Also just about to rebuild a fixie mtb 'pub bike'.

Problem with having a few bikes is that it's too easy to spend hours tinkering instead of riding! ;)
novocaine

Post by novocaine »

Woody wrote:
I also have a couple of s/s on the go at any one time which I've ridden for 12+ years and have just 'winterised' my Sanderson Life so it's rigid with some forks from a 29'er. Will probably stick to that and my Scott cx for next few months and leave the Maverick full bouncer in the garage till spring. Also just about to rebuild a fixie mtb 'pub bike'.

Problem with having a few bikes is that it's too easy to spend hours tinkering instead of riding! ;)
Ive been thinking of using 29er forks for a while, hows it worked out? i find with the 80-100mm normalised forks the nose is a bit low (not a real issue till you want to hop about on it)
the pub bike is hung in the shed ready for winter duties, again single speed, rigid and steel, that has a low front end intentionally though.

yep, i spend more time playing than i do riding some weeks, it's all part of the fun for me.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Seems good and well balanced on the Sanderson which has been designed for circa 120mm travel forks. Only been round the local park to test so far as I've still got a chest infection but the axle to crown seems spot on - I think it's 465mm.

Had a pair of cheap On-ones on before (400mm axle to crown I think), which apart from being very unforgiving made the steering too quick for me. Was considering some carbons but I have an inbuilt mistrust of carbon forks, especially at my weight on an MTB. Have them on the cx bike though as I'm a bit more careful/choosy on where I ride with that. Probably no need though if you have a look at martin Ashton's latest vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... ZmJtYaUTa0
novocaine

Post by novocaine »

yer someone sent me that yesterday, i do wonder how many bits snapped. wouldn't want to see anybody else do what he did, he was always known for his light touch.

I run the on one steel forks, they are rather stiff but nothing i'm not prepared to ride with (they sit well on the inbred).

been looking at the exotic carbon forks for a while, still not made my mind up on them though, 465mm was exactly what i was looking at so thats good to know.
Woody

Post by Woody »

The exotics seem to get a good rep. I've had a few sets of Pace carbons and they've been fine, certainly a big improvement in comfort compared to the On_one rigids although the 29'er ones in the pic have a little more 'give'. Going to put on a bigger front tyre though, just to give a bit more cushioning.
novocaine

Post by novocaine »

yep, thats about the slack head angle i'm after for a nice relaxed ride over winter.

last winter, different tyres and gearing now (pesky peak district and your big hills)
Weir out on one by i-novocaine, on Flickr
Batmancaver

Post by Batmancaver »

I think I'll stick with my Marin Wolf Ridge full susser.
Generally I keep the rear suss of 4" of travel for convenience but on occassion I have upped it to it's full 6" travel. Boy does that soak up the bumps going down but the problem is the bob sucks most of the energy when you then hit the ups and have to start pedalling!

When I next change bikes I'll probably find a nice full suss XC with lockout and anti-bob on it!

I've no intention of swapping just yet, especially after just swapping a few damaged bits this week, that was my Xmas present early I think!!

I'll be out with the family this weekend for a smaller ride. I need to find somewhere that's really nice and muddy for the kids to get stuck in! Lots of choice in the Clwydians for that and I know some really nice boggy patches!