free time - not necessarily a good thing in my case

Non members can enter here but to read only.
Describe your non biking hobby here (keep it clean) and post a few pics if applicable but please make sure they are not massive and don't overload it with pics

Moderators: suzukigoof, b00geyman, novocaine, jaz66, rodge, badanimal

marmike

free time - not necessarily a good thing in my case

Post by marmike »

Been meaning to do this for a while just for the hell of it.

went a bit OTT with the mood lighting and theres a nasty mistake in it but hey you gotta start somewhere,

next will be a ragtime thing - don't hold your breath!

minority of 1. not statistically visible. copyright.
Fat Rich
Resident Dirty Dancer

Re: free time - not necessarily a good thing in my case

Post by Fat Rich »

Interesting! You make nice noise!
Do me a favour?
'What?'
Got Facebook?
'Yes'
Then give my Little business a Like, please:
http://www.facebook.com/mothandmirror
'No problem'
Cheers :-)
badanimal
The Gatekeeper

Post by badanimal »

Well..... Talk about hiding your light under a bushell...

Brilliant :-bd :-bd

Counterpoint has always fascinated me..

I like Bach.....

(I do a few myself but nowhere near as good as that) :-bd :-bd

:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: more more........
IN THE END YOUR LIFE WILL FLASH BEFORE YOUR EYES... MAKE SURE IT'S WORTH WATCHING
marmike

Post by marmike »

thanks for the comments! I been playing to myself for years and i'm starting to video them to try to make me improve instead of just playing them through each time

this theory make take a while to work!
badanimal
The Gatekeeper

Post by badanimal »

marmike wrote:thanks for the comments! I been playing to myself for years and i'm starting to video them to try to make me improve instead of just playing them through each time

this theory make take a while to work!
It wont work :)) :)) :))

but it makes it all feel a bit more worthwhile doing it..

Getting someone else in to play makes more of a difference..
IN THE END YOUR LIFE WILL FLASH BEFORE YOUR EYES... MAKE SURE IT'S WORTH WATCHING
fastfitter
Techy & Electrickery Bod & Official RFOC TV Critic

Post by fastfitter »

badanimal wrote:I like Bach.....

jaz66

Post by jaz66 »

Bravo, my friend... :ymapplause:

Excellent stuff.. ^:)^
marmike

Post by marmike »

done another one today will post as soon as I remember how
marmike

Post by marmike »

Ragtime stylee so steel strings this time. Wanted to use my Yamaha silent guitar but couldnt get a decent sound out of it. Really. Next time.

badanimal
The Gatekeeper

Post by badanimal »

Nice :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

You propper trained ? I noticed the right hand picking style.. Looks real classical....

Mines from folk picking so a lot flatter.. (Mostly J.Denver when i was a kid)
marmike

Post by marmike »

Well spotted BA. yep had lessons when I was 13. Got up to grade 8 when I was 18. joined a band as lead guitar and it was all down hill from there lol.

Have taken down that second one as I had forgotten it had a few bars of a rag written by someone else and I don't wanna be embarrassed when someone spots it. For the purists the tune is "wilson Rag" by Elizabeth Cotten. She wrote the song " freight Train' which was my favourite as a kid so I dont wanna nick anything from her. I will re-write those bits and put it back up soon.

Got another one to upload but having a few issues at the mo, will sort it soon.

Always envied the folk/blues sound but I just cant flatten my wrist. Also can't hold down those he-man string gauges lol
badanimal
The Gatekeeper

Post by badanimal »

marmike wrote:Well spotted BA. yep had lessons when I was 13. Got up to grade 8 when I was 18.
Wasnt hard to spot :D can see the pro finger work

I wish I'd done that.. I just watched people on tv and maybe got the odd sheet music..
marmike wrote: joined a band as lead guitar and it was all down hill from there lol.
Been there lol..

All part of youth's fun

marmike wrote: I will re-write those bits and put it back up soon.
:-bd
marmike wrote: Always envied the folk/blues sound but I just cant flatten my wrist. Also can't hold down those he-man string gauges lol
lol the only reason i learned to flatten the wrist was because i had to have it on the guitar.. otherwise, out in the air like yours.. it would end up by my elbow if i wasnt watching it... :))

lol.. I've got .48 - .10 's on mine.. medium gauge.. most i can handle.. Im looking to get some lights for teh 12 string. That is a nightmare to pick with even mediums..

I hate blues... :)) Folks ok and country.. but I hate Blues..

I was allways a Rainbow 'ritchie blackmore' and Genesis fan.. prefered the classical influence..

cant stand Led Zep.. I'd love to play full on classical like John Williams and segovia.. counterpoint and pedal tones facinate me..

Properly done their just like modern day sequencers..

I've just finished nailing 'Classical Gas' which has been a lifelong ambition (that one should be a doddle for you)
and 'Horrizons' by Genesis (Steve Hacket)

My computers been in bits for just over a week now but i should be back on proper by tmoz..

Lets have a classical gas if you know that one
marmike

Post by marmike »

badanimal wrote:
marmike wrote:Well spotted BA. yep had lessons when I was 13. Got up to grade 8 when I was 18.
Wasnt hard to spot :D can see the pro finger work

I wish I'd done that.. I just watched people on tv and maybe got the odd sheet music..
marmike wrote: joined a band as lead guitar and it was all down hill from there lol.
Been there lol..

All part of youth's fun

marmike wrote: I will re-write those bits and put it back up soon.
:-bd
marmike wrote: Always envied the folk/blues sound but I just cant flatten my wrist. Also can't hold down those he-man string gauges lol
lol the only reason i learned to flatten the wrist was because i had to have it on the guitar.. otherwise, out in the air like yours.. it would end up by my elbow if i wasnt watching it... :)) LOL I HATE SEEING MY RIGHT HAND WOBBLING AROUND ITS SUPPOSED TO BE STATIC, LIKE MY LEFT IS SPOSED TO BE PERPENDICULAR TO THE FRETBOARD

lol.. I've got .48 - .10 's on mine.. medium gauge.. most i can handle.. Im looking to get some lights for teh 12 string. That is a nightmare to pick with even mediums.. THE ARIA IS A BORROWED GUITAR AND IT STILL HAD THE SHOP STRINGS ON IT, I GOT A SET OF EXTRA LIGHTS AND IT WAS A DREAM BUT THE BUGGER WENT OUT OF TUNE EVERY 30 SECONDS. THESE ARE LIGHTS - CANT REMEMBER THE GUAGES

I hate blues... :)) Folks ok and country.. but I hate Blues..
MET DAVEY GRAHAM AT RONNIE SCOTTS ONCE - BEFORE I KNEW WHO HE WAS

MY 2 BIG GUITAR HEROES (HEAD) JEFF BECK - SAW HIM AT LIVERPOOL UNI - EARLY JEFF BECK GROUP - STILL WAY AHEAD OF ANYONE THERES NO-ONE LIKE HIM
(HEART) MR ERIC CLAPP - NEVER SEEN HIM LIVE - HATED THE CREAM ERA - BUT 461 OCEAN BOULEVARD WAS A STAND OUT ALBUM AND A COUPLE OF TRACKS ON THE BLUESBREAKERS ALBUM MAKE ME BLUB EVERY TIME. OH AND ALL THOSE GUYS WHO PLAYED FOR STEELY DAN
I was allways a Rainbow 'ritchie blackmore' and Genesis fan.. prefered the classical influence..

CLASSICAL HEROES WERE ALIRIO DIAZ AND JULIAN BREAM - SAW BOTH LIVE AND NEARLY CLAPPED MY HANDS OFF

cant stand Led Zep.. I'd love to play full on classical like John Williams and segovia.. counterpoint and pedal tones facinate me..

MY GUITAR TEACHER PLAYED ME A CLIP OF JOHN WILLIAMS AGED FOURTEEN PLAYING THE STUDY I WAS LEARNING. NEARLY GAVE UP THERE AND THEN

Properly done their just like modern day sequencers.. AGREED I HATE CLASSICAL PLAYERS OF ANY INSTRUMENT USING A LOT OF RUBATO ( FECKING AROUND WITH THE RHYTHM TO MAKE THEMSELVES SOUND DRAMATIC) I HAD 2 TEACHERS, ONE STARTED AS A JAZZ PLAYER, THE OTHER ONLY CLASSICAL. THEY USED TO DO CONCERTS WITH A MIX OF EACH- THE JAZZ GUY COULD MAKE THE CLASSICAL STUF SWING WITHOUT CHANGING THE RHYTHM

I've just finished nailing 'Classical Gas' which has been a lifelong ambition (that one should be a doddle for you) I'M A LAZY GIT AND ALTHOUGH I'VE PICKED OUT THE FIRST FEW LINES I'VE NEVER GOT ROUND TO LEARNING THE WHOLE THING - CHORDS ARE A BIT COMPLICATED IF I REMEMBER. LETS HEAR IT \:D/ \:D/
and 'Horrizons' by Genesis (Steve Hacket)PERSONALLY NOT A HACKET DEVOTEE BUT EACH TO HIS OWN ETC

My computers been in bits for just over a week now but i should be back on proper by tmoz..

Lets have a classical gas if you know that one
WILL HAVE A GO IF I CAN GET THE MUSIC

REWROTE THE RAG LAST NIGHT SO WILL PUT THAT UP AGAIN THIS MORNING IF I GET TIME
marmike

Post by marmike »

As before only this time all parts written by me. Sorry for the awful sound and vision. Son and heir is arriving at weekend to assist.
marmike

Post by marmike »

Managed to improve a bit due to help from my son Josh who is an audio whizz and daughter Ruby who knows how to make my dingey thru lounge look like a californian lobby complete with guinea - pig's cage. ( we didn't have much time)
couldn't sort out my phone or pentax so there maybe a long lull after this weekend while I fix the hardware and try to decipher the notes Josh has left me so I can do it myself. (they both live in that London.)

I did record another tune 'The Lame Dog' which will appear in due course.

marmike

Post by marmike »

As mentioned here is the other track. There will now be a lengthy pause while I read, learn, and inwardly digest 3 seminars worth of instructions and get my camera fixed.

marmike

Post by marmike »

Bust a nail shortly after the last one - just getting it back into shape now. One of the drawbacks of gardening for a living.

Here is one I did earlier, sorry its not very well played but its a nice tune written by Senor De Narvaez a few years ago - well about 500 years ago to be fair.

mike-rf600r
Exhaust Technician

Post by mike-rf600r »

MIKE!!! Some caaaaaarnt stile the body of your guitar while you weren’t looking!!! People will steal anything these days. :))

Well played though sir sounds good \m/
Ride it like you stole it! - Bikes are for life, not just sunny days....
marmike

Post by marmike »

lol mike actually not the case this time (I got a disc lock for it) Actually I'm still paying for the other bits, getting a strap and a tuner next week, then hoping to get the front before the back.

cheers mate
Jelly
Resident Troll

Post by Jelly »

How the bloody hell do you play like that with knurled up old gardeners fingers? ;)

Bloody hell Mike, who knew? :-o

That makes me and my guitar playing sound like the equivalent of an asthmatic with a collapsed lung playing a plastic harmonica. %-(

^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^
"Now...say my name"

"It's......Heisenberg"

"You're God damn right"
marmike

Post by marmike »

Jelly wrote:How the bloody hell do you play like that with knurled up old gardeners fingers? ;)

That makes me and my guitar playing sound like the equivalent of an asthmatic with a collapsed lung playing a plastic harmonica. %-(

HAAAR! theres power in them parsnips yknow

tbh mate its the only thing I can do reasonably well but its never earnt me any dosh and I'm still only at hobby level. Taken me a lifetime to get that far and I feel sick when I see youngsters who just blow me into the weeds. So I just play for my own amusement and anyone who fancies a listen.
Jelly
Resident Troll

Post by Jelly »

marmike wrote:
Jelly wrote:How the bloody hell do you play like that with knurled up old gardeners fingers? ;)

HAAAR! theres power in them parsnips yknow

tbh mate its the only thing I can do reasonably well but its never earnt me any dosh and I'm still only at hobby level. Taken me a lifetime to get that far and I feel sick when I see youngsters who just blow me into the weeds. So I just play for my own amusement and anyone who fancies a listen.

Snap.

I'm nowhere near as good as you though Mike.

I can do a bit of fingerpicking but only self taught. Im more of a strummer.
"Now...say my name"

"It's......Heisenberg"

"You're God damn right"
marmike

Post by marmike »

whatever floats your boat I say, that ginger guy does pretty well with his strumming ^:)^
Jelly
Resident Troll

Post by Jelly »

Prince Harry? :-?
"Now...say my name"

"It's......Heisenberg"

"You're God damn right"
marmike

Post by marmike »

haha yeah him as well