Linux 1 - 2018 could be the year of the penguin..

Non members can enter here but to read only.
Describe your non biking hobby here (keep it clean) and post a few pics if applicable but please make sure they are not massive and don't overload it with pics

Moderators: suzukigoof, b00geyman, novocaine, jaz66, rodge, badanimal

pegscratch
Who am i?: Just another old guy that likes to go fast! Originally a Geordie, but too manyyears in the colonies, I only speak Canadian now

Re: Linux 1 - 2018 could be the year of the penguin..

Post by pegscratch »

This is one to bookmark!! I'm looking forward to your thread as I'm ready to upgrade my laptop.
I've always been curious, but didn't think I could figure it out myself.
Nice to be on a Suzuki again!! 1996 RF on it's way to be my long distance tourer!
2012 Speed TripleR for the hooligan in me!
badanimal
The Gatekeeper

Post by badanimal »

Well.. It's a work in progress.. :-bd

Now crimbo is over i can get back to it..

I've been breaking it up into posts.. so that we do a bit each day.. so it's not too much at once.. and i can get chance to explain what we're doing 'my way'

which means as little jargon and whiz kid science as possible.. More of a spanners and hammer approach :))

Because after all, they are just machines.. With lots of flashing lights and stuff, but still machines.. No 'magic' like in the movies..

I find it very interesting and even entertaining :-s though i liken it to working on my bike..

and when we get going i think some might surprise themselves on how much they actually know when they thought they didnt..

This comming week im starting on Hard Dives and how to prepare them for a mega installation of Linux... and that is going to be the hardest part..

after that it gets easier..

I forgot to post in this thread earlier.. There is a couple of software 'tools' you will need - One of them being 'Windows Explorer'..

I have no idea where it is in the menus of Win 10 now.. or even if it is still there..

It's the one you use to find your files and folders.. and to look whats in folders etc.... where you go and find your Pics and tunes etc..
and drag and drop them around..
It's the most important piece of kit we'll be using..

There's also 'My Computer' which is more or less the same..

So if anyones never used either of them before.. go have a look and get familiar what it is..

Also i'm going to show you how to clone and other such sciency sounding things.. to minimise any risk of a fk up happening..
and after youve got the hang of that your computer life is never going to be the same again.. :)) :))

and your local repairmans going to hate it :))

And having a plug in USB drive to save all your pics and movies and tunes to is a must if you keep them in your C:\ drive or My Documents..

I know theres a few other Linux users on here and i'll be happy if they throw a few posts in.. :-bd After all i'm not a hero, and it's for the benefit of the forum users..

All i ask is they leave me with the Capital L I N U X # thread titles so i can make all the therads match and follow on from each other as we go along

my next one will be 'L I N U X 2 - Hard Drives' or similar..
IN THE END YOUR LIFE WILL FLASH BEFORE YOUR EYES... MAKE SURE IT'S WORTH WATCHING
Boris

Post by Boris »

Nice one BA! From a Debian user :)
badanimal
The Gatekeeper

Post by badanimal »

Boris wrote:Nice one BA! From a Debian user :)
Debian !!! :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

Good choice :-bd :-bd :-bd

I havnt had that in my machine since 2012.. very good stuff.

(Made me want to try it again now lol)

Where all the ubuntu stuff comes from..
IN THE END YOUR LIFE WILL FLASH BEFORE YOUR EYES... MAKE SURE IT'S WORTH WATCHING