Distractions

Non members can enter here but to read only.
Describe your non biking hobby here (keep it clean) and post a few pics if applicable but please make sure they are not massive and don't overload it with pics

Moderators: suzukigoof, b00geyman, novocaine, jaz66, rodge, badanimal

mike-rf600r
Exhaust Technician

Re: Distractions

Post by mike-rf600r »

Happy days. Just what you want. Nice chuck of change for you to reinvest and put some under The mattress no doubt. Well done sir.
Ride it like you stole it! - Bikes are for life, not just sunny days....
novocaine

Post by novocaine »

Keeping slims thread alive while hes unable to.......

His and hers, and yes i'm thinking about picking up a bit steel to grind my own (i wish i was allowed a forge to make noise with)
20181009_204553.jpg
jaz66 wrote:Carbon fibre....It's just corduroy for vehicles.... :))
marmike

Post by marmike »

novocaine wrote:Keeping slims thread alive while hes unable to.......

His and hers, and yes i'm thinking about picking up a bit steel to grind my own (i wish i was allowed a forge to make noise with)
20181009_204553.jpg

great! they even stick to the wall like in those old baronial halls.
minority of 1. not statistically visible. copyright.
slim

Post by slim »

I quite like the swords, nice bit of work sir! :-bd:

You are right novo I haven't been able to do much until yesterday, previous to that I could pull the trigger on the mig just enough to get the gas on but couldn't pull it enough to get the wire spooling

In the mean time as soon as I could drive I went collecting bits then cleaned it down as well as I could & also sorted them out into piles so I could have a weld fest as soon as I could, not quite there yet but I did manage to tack a couple of clocks together yesterday & cut some timber for tops today :handgestures-thumbupleft:
never surrender !
novocaine

Post by novocaine »

good to hear you're on the mend. Want to borrow the SMAW, no trigger to pull. :-bd: :laughing-rolling:
jaz66 wrote:Carbon fibre....It's just corduroy for vehicles.... :))
slim

Post by slim »

Thanks novo I'm getting there slowly :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I was stick welding for 10+ years before I touched a mig & still have one here, to be honest I'm much better with a stick welder than a mig on reasonable thickness steel, just got bored with cleaning the slag up all the time :laughing-rolling:
never surrender !
slim

Post by slim »

After a couple of days of being able to weld to a reasonable standard again .............

Current stock that my contact is coming to look at & hopefully buy some of tomorrow :D
never surrender !
slim

Post by slim »

All gone :D

Now I need to get on with finding some more bits to make some more :roll:
never surrender !
jaz66

Post by jaz66 »

great result slim.. :-bd:
slim

Post by slim »

Well I used up the last of my bits & this is the result :!:

I'm not sure the trader will be getting this one as I really like it & have discovered what he's attempting to sell some of my stuff for :?

lets just say I'm shocked at what he thinks its worth :o don't get me wrong some of the stuff he's had he's trying to knock out at a small profit which is fair enough but bigger pieces :o I see I'm going to have to be careful with this bloke, I'm not completely daft though my prices to him just went up :lol:

A few people have said try to get into one of the London streampunk type shops & make some decent money off this stuff but I don't know what I'm looking for or where to start with that :?:
never surrender !
mike-rf600r
Exhaust Technician

Post by mike-rf600r »

if your making a decent profit don’t worry too much what he may get for bigger stuff. He has to store it and sell it. Don’t get greedy. Quick turn around is what you want.

People get offended at time when I buy a exhaust and they see it for sale elsewhere at a lot more.

Me knowing how to list, what it’s worth cleaning it up well enough etc and being willing to wait at times for a decent price.

You said didn’t want it to be a business as such. Reevaluate your prices sure but don’t price yourself up too much so you loose quick turn around deals. I find it a hard balance myself on my small time exhaust sales. I alwAys want to move on to next deal soon as I get something lol.
slim

Post by slim »

I am with you on that Mike a quick turn around is always good for me & I don't really care what he makes as such but I'm surprised at what he's asking for some of it

Lets put it another way a 30% or even 50% mark up is fine & to be expected but a 200% mark up isn't, my own fault for selling it too cheap I know but it still rankles & it wont be happening again ;)

He did say something along the lines of "its market forces, supply & demand" or some such banality but didn't seem to like it much when I mentioned he would be stuffed if he had the demand & I refused to supply at the prices :laughing-rolling:
never surrender !
mike-rf600r
Exhaust Technician

Post by mike-rf600r »

I did try tell you about your prices :lol:

I do understand what you saying. Perspnaly I try work on atleast doubling my money on everything I buy. Obviously I aim for more but some deals won’t allow that. If I can get a quick ££ then on to next Ekth smaller outlays I happier than having too much in one item unfortunately I’m stuck in the latter atm. Haha. :roll:
slim

Post by slim »

A couple of the latest things :whistle:

never surrender !
b00geyman

Post by b00geyman »

You sir are a creative genius, love the clock. I take it the copper pipework is a wee lamp, which I would spend hours polishing, as I did as a kid, brass, copper whatever was in the house I polished. Keep meaning to get an old timing cover from a brit bike and polish it up to hang on the wall, one day maybe.

Great seeing your stuff, you have a talent mate, :-bd: :-bd:
Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.
slim

Post by slim »

Thanks mate, yes the copper thing is a lamp I knocked up when I had run out of engine parts, it was polished & then lacquered so didn't have to be done again

Similar to you, as a kid our house was full of brass & copper things, we even had a copper topped coffee table I used to have to polish, I hated that bloody thing & used to get twitchy every time someone went near it, probably accounts for my aversion to polishing now :laughing-rolling:
never surrender !
badanimal
The Gatekeeper

Post by badanimal »

Have you got an Ebay shop ? or a website ?
IN THE END YOUR LIFE WILL FLASH BEFORE YOUR EYES... MAKE SURE IT'S WORTH WATCHING
slim

Post by slim »

badanimal wrote:Have you got an Ebay shop ? or a website ?
A mate of mine was going to build me a posh website but that hasn't happened yet, I know I could do it myself but thought it might be better if he did it as that's his job

I do sell on ebay but not this stuff yet & I don't have a shop, I'm a bit wary of listing it as there are plenty of folks who will just copy my ideas

Etsy is useless as there isn't a place for anything like I make & the other similar places either don't have the traffic or cost a fortune in fees

Still making a few quid at it but nowhere near what I could make if I could find a reliable outlet
never surrender !
mickthemaverick
Who am i?: An aspiring boring old fart whosevery early days on Bikes were superceded by cars and rallying. Rallied quite successfully for 20 years then ran out of cash. Now tinker in garage with cars and bikes and watch loads of sport!! Like a beer too!!

Post by mickthemaverick »

Just a thought Slim - have a look at Drew Pritchard's website and drop him an email - he has worldwide contacts and may be a reliable buyer for you - Great stuff in the pics :-bd: :-bd: :-bd:
A trained RF engineer!! Unfortunately it stood for Radio Frequency!
badanimal
The Gatekeeper

Post by badanimal »

slim wrote:
I do sell on ebay but not this stuff yet & I don't have a shop, I'm a bit wary of listing it as there are plenty of folks who will just copy my ideas
Yeah.. thats a problem i guess if they see pics.. The more successful the more they copy

slim wrote: Still making a few quid at it but nowhere near what I could make if I could find a reliable outlet
My friend had a craft shop here that took in other crafters stuff for a small comission. Sadly shes stopped now..

Maybe ask if you can have a corner in a local shop ?
IN THE END YOUR LIFE WILL FLASH BEFORE YOUR EYES... MAKE SURE IT'S WORTH WATCHING
slim

Post by slim »

Thanks lads :-bd:

I have been looking at places that might provide an outlet but there isn't anything local to me, probably the nearest places with the right sort of shops are either Stratford or Matlock Bath

I have a bit of a plan to tour round shops Stratford in the summer as they get plenty of foot traffic from tourists, bikers & general oddballs :lol:
never surrender !
badanimal
The Gatekeeper

Post by badanimal »

Cant hurt to ask.. :-bd:

Around here they are quite open to stuff like that..

Ive seen a few shops that have given a bit of space to some outside products..