Distractions

Non members can enter here but to read only.
Describe your non biking hobby here (keep it clean) and post a few pics if applicable but please make sure they are not massive and don't overload it with pics

Moderators: suzukigoof, b00geyman, novocaine, jaz66, rodge, badanimal

R-dubya
Off Road Advisor

Re: Distractions

Post by R-dubya »

My family name is Wood. My Dad like woodworking, from making DIY tables and cabinets to the odd bit of wood-turning with a lathe

In a way I wish I had the same 'affinity' with the material but mostly I prefer fiddling with motorbikes, which don't usually provide much opportunity
slim

Post by slim »

I started out working on the building with a chippy & learnt a lot from him as he was originally a cabinet maker who's business went down the pan due to his brother being a twonk, he's still one of the few guys I know who knows how to build a roof properly without factory made trusses

Later I worked for Smallbone (look them up) some of the cabinets in bleached oak were £1000 each back then :-o you really don't want to be fecking one of those up ! :)) also I worked at a place that made school furniture, stock cupboards etc & after 6 months was setting all the machines in the factory cos nobody else could apart from the gaffer who spent most of his time elsewhere lol

So yes I know my way round bits of wood & enjoy it, I can make nicer stuff & have in the past but the aim here is quick simple & turn it around for a few quid that way I'm not competing with the high end market :-bd
never surrender !
slim

Post by slim »

Just a couple of random pics of one of the last stools I made, the little one claimed this one & uses it all the time :))

never surrender !
novocaine

Post by novocaine »

that one I like.
good use of hot cogs too. :)

still don't like the CLS, but it looks better here. picky fecker aint I. :)
jaz66 wrote:Carbon fibre....It's just corduroy for vehicles.... :))
slim

Post by slim »

Cheers novo :-bd some turn out better than others & that is one of my favourites, folk have tried to buy it but the little un answers with a resounding NO! :))

I get it about the CLS mate but I have it so am using it until something else turns up, I am getting bored with seeing the stuff now to be honest & wish I could plane it smooth but its out of the question for now, might try staining some & see how that looks (prob be crap) :-s
never surrender !
novocaine

Post by novocaine »

Shou sugi ban.

Look it up on youtube. You'll love it. :ymdevil:
jaz66

Post by jaz66 »

liking the stool also slim... :-bd

and Novo interesting point...love that japanese wood colouring when i see it,
and now i know how they do it. i am more in awe at how beautiful it can look.
slim

Post by slim »

Now that is a real cool finish, I love it :-bd there goes a few hours lost on you tube later today :)
never surrender !
slim

Post by slim »

Well I tried shou sugi ban on a table frame I have been messing with for a while & it really suits that particular job its still novo's favourite timber but no longer looks like it :)) thanks for the tip mate :-bd

In other news i was given an old yam diff & some other junk so yet another stool is half made, I think it looks good with the big helical gear at the bottom & this one is having the same finish as the frame mentioned above just because I think it will look right :)

I have tried treating some burnt timber offcuts with oil over the last few days & have also used varnish on some which gives a gloss finish, for both the above items gloss varnish will work better imo so that what I will do, pics in a day or two if I haven't bored everyone senseless by now :ymblushing:

Lastly for now I a mate might have found me a good supply of scrap bike engines from a breaker so I may be able to make something interesting & different again soon :)
never surrender !
slim

Post by slim »

Here are the latest two stools :)

This one is a foot high & the top swivels

This one is 15" high with a fixed top & I tried something different on the edge as you can see

lastly here is the small coffee/side table I started ages ago but is on hold due to lack of angle iron to make hairpin legs & lack of cash for a glass top

Comments good or bad welcome as always :)
never surrender !
novocaine

Post by novocaine »

Like em. Can you set a 45 on your circular saw (the one im assuming you are using to cut the cls)? If you can then bevel the underside of the tops. Will make them look a bit less chunky.

Even wothout that, they look good. brill finish on the wood too.

I dont have access to the bike parts but heres part of my sons birthday present ive just finished, as my additon to "distractions", been told they sell for 300 notes in worse build. Not bad for a pile of cheap decking and a fence post.
20180731_193452.jpg
slim

Post by slim »

Thanks novo you were dead right about the finish I really do like it a lot ^:)^

I'm cutting the cls with a chop saw as my circular way gave up the ghost a year or so ago, not surprising because as a builder I'd abused it for about 10 years, point taken though although, I like the chunky look myself but I can see that others might not, I have used thinner timber in the past & once this damn hand is sorted I might plane a bevel on some to see what it looks like :)

I really like your own little distraction mate, looks very well made & a load of fun for a little one :-bd i'd much prefer that than any shop bought plastic tat
never surrender !
novocaine

Post by novocaine »

Other thing you could think about is making up some dowel (sharp chisel and a drill, bit like a pencil sharpener) to fill the bolt holes. wouldn't suggest you buy a plug cutter as that really needs a pillar drill and they cost spondulics. I can show you how I make dowel if it helps but I'm sure you can figure it out.

none of these comments are in a bad way, more just adding little touches to an already good bit of work.

the bevel is useful because it means from certain distances and heights it looks light but from others it look robust and manly (grrr), also means your eye is drawn to the leg rather than the top, which lets face it, is the point of the design.

I wonder if you could chain drill then trim a top to look a bit like a gear. ;) (I shall now experiment, mwah ha ha ha, I have a solitaire board I want to make and it might be the perfect excuse to do it)
mike-rf600r
Exhaust Technician

Post by mike-rf600r »

Looking good lads. Your best yet Tony imo. Love the use of the brake discs.
Ride it like you stole it! - Bikes are for life, not just sunny days....
slim

Post by slim »

Thanks again guys :) :)

All comments & ideas are welcome novo no offence will ever be taken even if you said its all utter rubbish I'd rather folk be straight with their opinions on anything I do that way I will find things I can improve :-bd

I did think of plugging the screw holes but in the end couldn't be bothered to be honest, no worries about cutting a plug though as i have done plenty in the past & i might even still have a plug cutter kicking around somewhere :-?

I like the idea of chain drilling the top & am thinking I would have to dowel or biscuit joint & glue the timber to be sure of not hitting a screw, other than that obviously a single piece of solid timber could work too
never surrender !
badanimal
The Gatekeeper

Post by badanimal »

Too much stuff to comment on.. :-o

So i'll just say they all look very good :-bd
IN THE END YOUR LIFE WILL FLASH BEFORE YOUR EYES... MAKE SURE IT'S WORTH WATCHING
slim

Post by slim »

Cheers BA :)
never surrender !
slim

Post by slim »

An uplighter to go under my mate slabby on its display plinth that I made a few weeks ago

Not my design & I don't particularly like it but its what he wanted, I have another (different) one to make for him at some point & its a right pain in the arse, the worst thing is I wont even get paid :|
never surrender !
badanimal
The Gatekeeper

Post by badanimal »

slim wrote:An uplighter to go under my mate slabby on its display plinth that I made a few weeks ago
I hope thats a 12v double insulated uplighter going in it [-x :)

just remember to weld an extra nut and bolt on for an earth tag on a 240v one :))

slim wrote: Not my design & I don't particularly like it but its what he wanted, I have another (different) one to make for him at some point & its a right pain in the arse, the worst thing is I wont even get paid :|
I love it :-bd :-bd :-bd I think thats ace :-bd :-bd I really do..

is it adjustable on the pin ?
IN THE END YOUR LIFE WILL FLASH BEFORE YOUR EYES... MAKE SURE IT'S WORTH WATCHING
slim

Post by slim »

Hey Ba I guessed you would comment on the electricals :)) its having G4 led's on a transformer plug (if that's the right term?) so low voltage & safe apparently?

its a sparky that will be wiring it & he seems to know what he's about, I think the hardest part will be sticking the bulb holders in without drilling through the piston for a fixing, he seems to think he has a glue/resin that will work but its not really my problem at the minute :)) might be an issue if I make any to sell on so I'm keeping an eye on what he does & will be sure to ask your advice if I'm not sure mate :-bd

Yes it adjusts on the pin mate that was part of why it was a pig to work out, the second one has two pistons on it one big that will go up/down & one small that will go side to side, I will chuck a pic up when its done :)

Glad you like it mate I'm still not sure myself but my mate just picked it up & he's chuffed to feck :-bd
never surrender !
badanimal
The Gatekeeper

Post by badanimal »

Haa.. I was only joking :))

G4's LED anyway. Araldite would do..

I think it's brilliant.. :-bd I can just imagine them lighting a bike up..

and fetching good money

slim wrote: but my mate just picked it up & he's chuffed to feck :-bd
Im not surprised :)) I would be :-bd

waitin for a pic of the other :-bd
jaz66

Post by jaz66 »

slim wrote:An uplighter to go under my mate slabby on its display plinth that I made a few weeks ago
Well slim on first impressions it looks good.. B-)

But then i had a second look...

and i liked it even more... :ymparty:

Nice work, can quite see that in the situation you describe..well smart. :-bd
slim

Post by slim »

Thanks for the positive comments folks :-bd

I am quite looking forward to seeing them lit up & sat under the bike as I cant quite visualise how it will look at the moment, I will try & remember to get a pic of them in place when its all sorted

Thinking about it I'm surprised some of you like it as I still think its a bit tat but from the comments here & elsewhere I might have to look at this electickery malarkey in more detail & knock up a few similar ones to sell :)

I have enough pistons to make quite a few & spanners etc are easy enough to come by but that took the best part of a day + welding wire, gas, electric & propane to make & I don't know what the sparky bits cost so the question is what is something like that really worth ?
never surrender !
badanimal
The Gatekeeper

Post by badanimal »

Their going to look smart :-bd

yeah dont forget a pic of them lighting the bike up

Dunno what their worth.. now you done a prototype you could probably knock a few up in a day..

£150 on ebay usa and China :-bd (Fk sake, if they can sell british air to the chineese at 80 quid a jar, you can sell them for more)

As regards lectrics.. theres a load of selling laws electrical safety blah blah, so if they were mains youd have to have them tested. PAT test would probably do, but unecessary expence.

If you bought something from B&Q that was LED with a plug transformer all marked up, then you bypass all that :-bd
Like them dumb plastic LED rocks they have.

Just stick them in with araldite metal fix stuff from the same B&Q :-bd
slim

Post by slim »

A very quick ebay session says 10 g4 bulbs are under 5 quid, bulb holders under 3 & the plug a fiver to a tenner depending on watts, even cheaper from chinky chonk land :-o

Yeah I could probably make two lights in a day but I cant see being able to do more than that as the limiting factor is how long it takes to heat up the spanners enough for them to bend nicely then waiting time for them to cool enough to handle again

I could easily make 3 stool bottoms or a table base in the same time so I'm wondering if its worth the effort :-s

I started off doing this stuff again purely for fun but its ended up as what has kept my head above water these last couple of months & I already have 5 items that I invested time & a fair bit of money in that are sitting unsold :(

On a happier note I figured out a method of dying burnt timber nice & cheaply & can do most colours so a couple of the stools that still haven't sold might have the tops refinished to see if that helps get them gone ;)
never surrender !