Distractions

Non members can enter here but to read only.
Describe your non biking hobby here (keep it clean) and post a few pics if applicable but please make sure they are not massive and don't overload it with pics

Moderators: suzukigoof, b00geyman, novocaine, jaz66, rodge, badanimal

slim

Re: Distractions

Post by slim »

Something different ;)

never surrender !
slim

Post by slim »

Stuck this on ebay to make way for the next thing I started making today ;)

never surrender !
badanimal
The Gatekeeper

Post by badanimal »

:-bd
IN THE END YOUR LIFE WILL FLASH BEFORE YOUR EYES... MAKE SURE IT'S WORTH WATCHING
slim

Post by slim »

Would you believe I just sold it :-o I got an offer I couldn't refuse so well happy :) :)

Onwards & upwards with the next thing ;)
never surrender !
mike-rf600r
Exhaust Technician

Post by mike-rf600r »

slim wrote:Would you believe I just sold it :-o I got an offer I couldn't refuse so well happy :) :)

Well done sir. I hope you actually started pricing things near the going rate this time. B-)
Ride it like you stole it! - Bikes are for life, not just sunny days....
slim

Post by slim »

mike-rf600r wrote:
slim wrote:Would you believe I just sold it :-o I got an offer I couldn't refuse so well happy :) :)

Well done sir. I hope you actually started pricing things near the going rate this time. B-)
I stuck it on ebay at 100 quid start price, a mate spotted it, knew from the user name was me & phoned me up with a good offer to remove it, job done & no ebay fees :D
never surrender !
mike-rf600r
Exhaust Technician

Post by mike-rf600r »

Nice. That’s why I couldn’t find it under sold items then :))

Nice work :-bd
slim

Post by slim »

Today I finished up the legs for my GSXR engine block coffee table & made the top which was a real pain in the arse

Tomorrow I will be mainly sanding & varnishing the top & that will be another item ready for sale in a few days, pics when its done ;)
never surrender !
mike-rf600r
Exhaust Technician

Post by mike-rf600r »

:ymapplause: that should sell well! Tables tend to in that style.
slim

Post by slim »

mike-rf600r wrote::ymapplause: that should sell well! Tables tend to in that style.
This is done differently to the ones you will have seen Mike, I don't like to copy other peoples stuff ;)

Difficult to explain what I have done but its two 1052 slabby blocks with the liners as legs & supports + a wooden top, show you in a couple of days mate, i'll be interested to know what you think :-bd
never surrender !
mike-rf600r
Exhaust Technician

Post by mike-rf600r »

Nice , is bit different. Usually a glass top is used. Be good to see it.

My opinion is worthless as I don’t know what I’m talking about encase you hadn’t realised :)) I just like that kind of thing, repurposed stuff done well is pukka. :-bd
alien937

Post by alien937 »

How about some motorcycle art type of thing. This I was distracted by at the Bull dog bash in 2002, I couldn't take my eyes off of it @-)

R-dubya
Off Road Advisor

Post by R-dubya »

After the 2015 meet at Nelson's Diner I took a bit of a ride around the local roads and stumbled on the Royal Berkshire County Show

One of the trade stands was using this to attract interest, and it seemed to be working quite effectively

ImageRoyal Berkshire County Show, Sept 2015 by roger.w800, on Flickr
slim

Post by slim »

I would love to have the space & time to build something like the above stuff but sadly don't have enough of either

I have always done stuff like small bikes, trikes & the occasional car or cup for rally trophies, animals & people I find difficult unless its really off the wall oddball stuff that doesn't really have to be a fair representation of the real thing

This thing with stools etc came about just because I had some scrap & wanted something to sit on, suddenly everyone wanted one, a couple are in folks houses as tables to put your brew or ash tray on, one sits in a corner with a lamp I made 10 years ago sat on it & the rest are in various sheds or vans at race meetings

The bench was a case of I'm bored .....hmmm what can I do with wheels ! if I had space I'd get a production line going as everything except the two last stools & the coffee table I am working on has sold straight away

Here is the coffee table , not quite finished yet as the top needs another sanding & varnish due to a bloody spider committing suicide on it but you should get the idea ;)

Thoughts, good or bad are welcome :) any idea of what I should ask for it even more so as I don't have a clue

never surrender !
b00geyman

Post by b00geyman »

Thats really nice, as for price, well its a one off, where would you find another one. Gotta be a few hundred, bet that bike shed place in London would have it. :D
Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.
novocaine

Post by novocaine »

truthfully?
I love the idea, I love the metal work, but your wood work sucks. 3x2 PAR isn't the best wood in the world, but 10 minutes with a plane and some wood glue could leave you with a top that looks nothing like a jumble of bits of offcut. my bench is made from the stuff, you can see the top in this shot, most are hard pressed to tell me what it's made from without looking underneath.

ImageThe bench by David Rees, on Flickr

seriously, get the top right and you could sell it for hundreds to the right person. hell, you'd get a better look from pallet wood (as horrible as that is) and it's free if you ask around, a bit of sanding is all it would take to give it a really good look and you can get away with it being rough as f**k, in fact it looks better that way.

ImageClock by David Rees, on Flickr

if you want to make that table look amazing without all that messing with dead tree carcass (trees have feelings to you know) how about a walk down the road to find a road works sign, twenty minutes with a pair of snips and a mallet to form it over what you've already got as a top and hay presto (valve) a real talking piece. (note, this sign came from a donor for free, I don't condone nicking a road sign from the side of the road, but they do get left behind occasionally)
20170822_211953.jpg
please don't take any of this as offensive, I love the idea and the way you've done it is different to what normally get's touted by "I saw you coming" shops, just a little refinement is all. :D

also

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jaz66 wrote:Carbon fibre....It's just corduroy for vehicles.... :))
slim

Post by slim »

Thanks for the comments guys much appreciated :-bd

B00gyman I'm glad you like the table mate but I wouldn't sell to the brown seat & shiny boot hipster brigade............. ever ! =))

Novo, I get your comments entirely mate & of course no offence taken :) I used CLS for most of these things rather than deal PAR as its highly rot resistant especially when properly varnished & some of the stuff is used outside a lot of the time, its cheap & strong too

At the moment I don't have sash cramps or a router otherwise I would be biscuit jointing & gluing the tops as I have done in the past when making a butchers block, & table tops I also don't own a sander or money to buy one so super smooth is out of the question at the moment, basically I'm making do with what I have ;)

Anything that needs a plane is done by hand & that's a bitch as I'm waiting for an op for carpal tunnel syndrome, it hurts like feck so I avoid it if I can, another reason for using reasonably smooth CLS

This top is just something different I thought I'd try I'm not sure if I like it myself to be honest but I didn't want to go down the normal route of glass or a chunk of oak which costs more than I can afford at the moment

Like I say no offence taken mate all fair comments but I hope that's answered some of them :-bd
never surrender !
novocaine

Post by novocaine »

SO we are talking on the same lines.
all CLS is PAR but not all PAR is CLS. :)

CLS is Canadian Lumber Standard, it's C16 (C24 for larger stronger members) structural grade (knot count, growth ring and density) kiln dried with with planed faces and eased corners. normally fir in this country but I've seen spruce on occasion in the wood pile. agree it's dirt cheap, I tend to buy a few lengths every time I go to the wood store as it's useful for all sorts of stuff and gets used often in our house so I tend to have 2 or 3 stands in at any one time.

when I said PAR above, I was referring to what you've called CLS but I've also here it called scant. my bench, yep still made from the same stuff, fun sorting through the pile to get the dry stuff that was still heavy. :)

can't help with the CTS but can see it would be a bitch to hand plane anything but the lightest of edges with the sharpest of blade so feel for you on that one. that bench you see above? all hand planed, with a 5 and a 5 1/2 plane, hence not doing the legs ;) , you can see the table saw in the background, it was used as a bench, everything on that bench was hand cut :D, including mortise and tenons (in fact there isn't a mechanical fastener in it till I fitted the vices)
My dads old tools.
20180326_205534.jpg
I have the power tools, they don't tend to beat the hand tools very often, the power plane is great for doors and I did an entire floor with it in the last house but it's useless for anything which need finesse.

Agree it isn't worth getting a machine sander/planer for the cost (although I got mine second hand from a booty for under a fiver for both, might be worth a look).

Also agree, a chunk of oak isn't worth it and it's what everybody does, still think that PAR (CLS sorry) with a bit of work could look great, no biscuits required, the glue is more than enough, all biscuits would do is make it easier to line it all up, clamps aren't a stopper either, you've got CLS sat around, a few holes and some wedges make a decent cramp and it's how I do stuff that's bigger than the clamps I have available.

I'd love to have all the bits of bike you have access too, between the two of us we'd have some lovely looking furniture. :) the missus wouldn't let me have any of it in the house, but that's another problem for another day, she let me have my steel shelf brackets, so thats a win. :)
20180205_205421.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
b00geyman

Post by b00geyman »

slim wrote:Thanks for the comments guys much appreciated :-bd

B00gyman I'm glad you like the table mate but I wouldn't sell to the brown seat & shiny boot hipster brigade............. ever ! =)) :-bd
Spat my tea out at that =)) =)) =)) . Hell, mate, much as I dislike the hipster movement they are the "cats" with the money in their hip(ster) pockets, I would gladly take their cash, with a great big :D cheesy grin , But I sense a market oppurtunity here, tuck and roll brown leather/vinyl table tops with brass accents lol. If only I could work wood, and leather. I hope you get a good price from someone that appreciates the work and artistry and doesn't have a manicured beard and shiny boots.
RFowners forum, doncha just love how diverse a bunch we are, creative, knowledgable and If ya don't know about something, there is sure to be somebody who has the answer.
Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.
mike-rf600r
Exhaust Technician

Post by mike-rf600r »

This time next year you’ll be millionaires :))
R-dubya
Off Road Advisor

Post by R-dubya »

My family name is Wood. My Dad like woodworking, from making DIY tables and cabinets to the odd bit of wood-turning with a lathe

In a way I wish I had the same 'affinity' with the material but mostly I prefer fiddling with motorbikes, which don't usually provide much opportunity
slim

Post by slim »

I started out working on the building with a chippy & learnt a lot from him as he was originally a cabinet maker who's business went down the pan due to his brother being a twonk, he's still one of the few guys I know who knows how to build a roof properly without factory made trusses

Later I worked for Smallbone (look them up) some of the cabinets in bleached oak were £1000 each back then :-o you really don't want to be fecking one of those up ! :)) also I worked at a place that made school furniture, stock cupboards etc & after 6 months was setting all the machines in the factory cos nobody else could apart from the gaffer who spent most of his time elsewhere lol

So yes I know my way round bits of wood & enjoy it, I can make nicer stuff & have in the past but the aim here is quick simple & turn it around for a few quid that way I'm not competing with the high end market :-bd
never surrender !
slim

Post by slim »

Just a couple of random pics of one of the last stools I made, the little one claimed this one & uses it all the time :))

never surrender !
novocaine

Post by novocaine »

that one I like.
good use of hot cogs too. :)

still don't like the CLS, but it looks better here. picky fecker aint I. :)
slim

Post by slim »

Cheers novo :-bd some turn out better than others & that is one of my favourites, folk have tried to buy it but the little un answers with a resounding NO! :))

I get it about the CLS mate but I have it so am using it until something else turns up, I am getting bored with seeing the stuff now to be honest & wish I could plane it smooth but its out of the question for now, might try staining some & see how that looks (prob be crap) :-s
never surrender !