Distractions

Non members can enter here but to read only.
Describe your non biking hobby here (keep it clean) and post a few pics if applicable but please make sure they are not massive and don't overload it with pics

Moderators: suzukigoof, b00geyman, novocaine, jaz66, rodge, badanimal

slim

Distractions

Post by slim »

My main hobby apart from the obvious bikes since I stopped shooting & martial arts is making stuff out of scrap, some would say a few of my bikes are made out of scrap too =))

Over the years I have made big oddball metal sculptures for plants to grow through, the occasional wood burner out of old gas bottles & smaller stuff like model bikes for rally trophies, desk tidy's, book ends, paperweights, plant pots & door stops

I hadn't done anything much for a while but over the last couple of days I knocked up this workshop stool & thought you lot might like to see it

Its definitely not my best work as I'm still limited by lack of kit but I enjoyed making it & I suppose that's what matters :)
Last edited by slim on Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
never surrender !
marmike

Re: Distractions

Post by marmike »

Nice one mate let me be the first to ask what engine the crank was in? and did you glue up the wood yourself or was it part of some furniture?

personally I can just see an old grey tractor seat sitting on the top there
minority of 1. not statistically visible. copyright.
rodge

Post by rodge »

Oddball projects can be fun.

I was once offered a knackered V6 engine from a TVR which I turned into a table, just coz I could.

I like the stool, good work.
Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.
slim

Post by slim »

Thanks guys :)

Its not finished yet, I still need to clean it down & paint it + add some decoration to the seat & varnish it when funds allow

All the engine parts came from a GSX600f, I even used the knackered starter clutch to mount the seat, I have another crank so might make another (better) one, this was just done quick to test the theory

The wood is just screwed together on this one, its some 3x2 CLS left over from building my shed, ideally I would have biscuit jointed & glued it but I don't have a jointer or router anymore

I did think of a tractor seat marmike, I agree it would look good but I decided to go with what I had

I still have the rest of the engine too rodge so a table & wine rack are a possibility along with a coat hanger or door stop out of the gears :)
never surrender !
pegscratch
Who am i?: Just another old guy that likes to go fast! Originally a Geordie, but too manyyears in the colonies, I only speak Canadian now

Post by pegscratch »

Nice one! I tinker with that sort of stuff as well. Usually my materials come off the beach.Like this one. This one was a struggle to get up the bank it weighs 250 lbs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nice to be on a Suzuki again!! 1996 RF on it's way to be my long distance tourer!
2012 Speed TripleR for the hooligan in me!
slim

Post by slim »

That's one cool bench pegscratch, I like it a lot :)
never surrender !
slim

Post by slim »

Coat hook ;)

never surrender !
Old wobbler
The Bandit Killer

Post by Old wobbler »

Now thats where my gear selectors ended up.
Old Wobbler

..... One day, when there was only a few left, I was lucky......
slim

Post by slim »

Old wobbler wrote:Now thats where my gear selectors ended up.
=)) =))

Yes and I'm having the cams out if it when you are not looking if I get the chance =)) :-bd
never surrender !
marmike

Post by marmike »

pegscratch wrote:Nice one! I tinker with that sort of stuff as well. Usually my materials come off the beach.Like this one. This one was a struggle to get up the bank it weighs 250 lbs.

nicely done mate ^:)^
minority of 1. not statistically visible. copyright.
pegscratch
Who am i?: Just another old guy that likes to go fast! Originally a Geordie, but too manyyears in the colonies, I only speak Canadian now

Post by pegscratch »

I like the coat rack idea. What I'd like is a design for holding multiple helmets as well. Something that won't poke into the liner when it's hanging. Any ideas?
Nice to be on a Suzuki again!! 1996 RF on it's way to be my long distance tourer!
2012 Speed TripleR for the hooligan in me!
slim

Post by slim »

pegscratch wrote:I like the coat rack idea. What I'd like is a design for holding multiple helmets as well. Something that won't poke into the liner when it's hanging. Any ideas?
I originally put the con rod on there to hold a helmet as its a nice rounded edge at the small end where I cocked up slightly is that particular rod isn't really long enough & I should have angled it up a little more, in the end I couldn't be bothered to take it off again ;)

I have been thinking about a design with a shelf at the top for a helmet & pegs underneath for coats etc, I just don't have enough scrap to make it at the moment & am using a borrowed welder so don't want to take the pee ;) I might make one out of timber at some point

You can buy a wire rack similar to what I have in mind but there is no fun in that =))
never surrender !
R-dubya
Off Road Advisor

Post by R-dubya »

How about pistons?

a) they've got a rounded surface
b) they'd add to the length if you reckon the conrod on its own is too short
c) you can stick them on with an upward tilt to make up for the existing lack of angle. (Instead of a gudgeon pin, just fill it with 'glue' and stick it however you like)
I'm up... I'm dressed... what more do you want?
slim

Post by slim »

I did wonder about pistons mate but I figured the edge from crown to side might dig in to helmet lining

I could have left the bottom clamp on the rod & that would give another 1 1/2 inches but it didn't look right
never surrender !
slim

Post by slim »

Well the little one decided she needed a bookend today so instead of building my engine I made her one :)

Then while I was there & in the mood I made a couple more

never surrender !
slim

Post by slim »

And the stool is finally finished

I dropped this over to a mate last night as he wanted a look & ended up leaving it there as he thought he might me able to flog it

10 minutes ago I got a call its sold & will be appearing in a race paddock somewhere near you in the near future ;) even better I have a tentative order for another which should do the bank balance a bit of good :)

In other news the large & very different project I have been working on occasionally for a few days seems to be working out well, I'm just waiting for a pair of wheels to be blasted then I should be able to put it together & show you the fruits of my labour :D
never surrender !
R-dubya
Off Road Advisor

Post by R-dubya »

Hmmmm.....

If you're ever short of f**ked engine parts, just make mates with a few of the members here

If they don't have anything currently available, it probably won't be long till they do

(pm me for their names)
slim

Post by slim »

R-dubya wrote:Hmmmm.....

If you're ever short of f**ked engine parts, just make mates with a few of the members here

If they don't have anything currently available, it probably won't be long till they do

(pm me for their names)
:-bd :-bd Funny you should say that I am in need of a set of knackered cams for stool number two ;)
never surrender !
mike-rf600r
Exhaust Technician

Post by mike-rf600r »

slim wrote:
R-dubya wrote:Hmmmm.....

(pm me for their names)
:-bd :-bd Funny you should say that I am in need of a set of knackered cams for stool number two ;)
When I get around to swapping my rf6 Engine out you can have that :))
Ride it like you stole it! - Bikes are for life, not just sunny days....
slim

Post by slim »

mike-rf600r wrote:
When I get around to swapping my rf6 Engine out you can have that :))
:-bd Anytime over the weekend would be fine :)) do you deliver ? =)) =))
never surrender !
slim

Post by slim »

Stool number 2 now well on the way to being done, from the top is awaiting more coats of varnish then its finished, I took my time with this one & its much nicer all round ...... sold too as soon as I finish & deliver it :D

The bigger project is moving on but eating up a few quid, mainly that's going on the finish as I have a guy who may well want it (& pay good money) he's a picky bugger though so I'm taking my time ....... I hope to start assembling that in a few days so pics will come then ;)
never surrender !
slim

Post by slim »

The latest two are 14" high, perfect for sitting on while working on the bike :)

Fully spinning tops too ;)

never surrender !
slim

Post by slim »

Sold ! :D

Now who was it that had all those knackered engines ? =))
never surrender !
mike-rf600r
Exhaust Technician

Post by mike-rf600r »

Well done sir ! Keep it up
Ride it like you stole it! - Bikes are for life, not just sunny days....
slim

Post by slim »

mike-rf600r wrote:Well done sir ! Keep it up
I'm trying to mate as it seems I have found a small niche :)

My problem now is I'm out of the bigger engine parts which is a bit of a bugger as I have orders for 2 more of the taller stools + bigger version as a table & a weirdo ashtray stand thing :-o

There is a dead cbr engine that's mine but getting it here is complicated so I'm not holding my breath on that one, it could turn up tomorrow or in 3 months time

I really need a reliable source of dead engines or at least parts
never surrender !