Distractions

Non members can enter here but to read only.
Describe your non biking hobby here (keep it clean) and post a few pics if applicable but please make sure they are not massive and don't overload it with pics

Moderators: suzukigoof, b00geyman, novocaine, jaz66, rodge, badanimal

slim

Re: Distractions

Post by slim »

Thanks Alien, I really like the clock myself even though it was probably the most simple thing to make out of it all, I will probably make a few more similar ones :D
never surrender !
novocaine

Post by novocaine »

alien937 wrote:I'm loving the Clock and lamp! Hand Made in :flags-wavegreatbritain: :-bd:
with Japanese expertise. :-bd:

looks good bud, now you've starting doing something with the wood they look better.
jaz66 wrote:Carbon fibre....It's just corduroy for vehicles.... :))
slim

Post by slim »

Thanks novo :handgestures-thumbupleft: I much appreciate the tip about wood finishes mate, hopefully in a week or two I should be able to start running a plane around them as you suggested too :-bd:
never surrender !
novocaine

Post by novocaine »

slim wrote:Thanks novo :handgestures-thumbupleft: I much appreciate the tip about wood finishes mate, hopefully in a week or two I should be able to start running a plane around them as you suggested too :-bd:
yer, once the wanking wrist is sorted. :Snigger:
reckon a 45 chamfer on the underside of that large coffee table would have made a huge finishing difference. over 45 and it would "lighten" the look of the top which might not be the look your after.

Japanese finish, Japanese parts, brit behind the tools, just the way it should be. :-bd:
jaz66

Post by jaz66 »

Liking it all slim..nice work.. :-bd:

and from certain angles that table looks like its floating in mid air.. :shock:

slim

Post by slim »

novocaine wrote:
slim wrote:Thanks novo :handgestures-thumbupleft: I much appreciate the tip about wood finishes mate, hopefully in a week or two I should be able to start running a plane around them as you suggested too :-bd:
yer, once the wanking wrist is sorted. :Snigger:
reckon a 45 chamfer on the underside of that large coffee table would have made a huge finishing difference. over 45 and it would "lighten" the look of the top which might not be the look your after.

Japanese finish, Japanese parts, brit behind the tools, just the way it should be. :-bd:
I think you are right about a 45 on the underside mate, maybe a third of the way up the timber would have worked well on it & that's something I will be trying once the wanking hand is sorted (until the other one gets worse that is) :roll:
never surrender !
slim

Post by slim »

jaz66 wrote:Liking it all slim..nice work.. :-bd:

and from certain angles that table looks like its floating in mid air.. :shock:
Thanks mate, I hadn't spotted that floating business but you are right :handgestures-thumbupleft: I think its even more pronounced in this pic of the other end ?

never surrender !
marmike

Post by marmike »

Slim you have a bit if a business opportunity there I reckon. The lamps are a winner, and the clock. that Japanese finish complements the sheen of the metal. the table is excellent. I went to that bike gear place (is it moto-legends?) they have a shop in Guildford full of blokes with beards selling you leather goods, your stuff would go down great in there as bespoke shop-fitting items. Or in the Bike Shed at Woolwich, or the Ace Cafe, or any triumph dealer's showroom.

If I were you I would send those places a few snaps and see if you get any takers.

great to see the objects develop as you do each one. :-bd: :-bd: :-bd:
minority of 1. not statistically visible. copyright.
slim

Post by slim »

Thanks for the nice comments marmike :-bd:

I think you are right mate & I am now looking to make a small part time business out of it, but what I don't want to be doing is just knocking stuff out for the sake of it or doing the same thing over & over again because its more about the joy of making something different that some folk like rather than any desire to get rich off it

I have been in discussion with a bloke that bought a small table & another item off me recently he has a couple of shops he said he could sell stuff through & true to his word he has already sold a big ticket item for me & made a few quid himself, going to sit down with him on Saturday & see if we can work a deal out, to be honest something like that is better for me than selling it myself
never surrender !
marmike

Post by marmike »

yeah i think that's the key mate stick to your strengths and delegate the other stuff if you can find people you trust.

as you say, better to make a name as a designer/maker at premium prices than try to set up mass-produced operation which is always gonna be capital-heavy and a real sweat to do.
slim

Post by slim »

I think we are thinking along the same lines mate apart from the premium prices bit lol

As long as it covers my costs & makes some pocket money that will do for me, long gone are the days of me chasing an extra quid, I'm far happier now with less cash & more time to feck about with things I enjoy

I know that one lad who had a load of the early stuff off me was making a lot more off it than me & I couldn't care less to be honest I got what I wanted with no hassle & that counts for a lot in the mad world of slim :D

Having said that I'm not a complete mug, the new bloke will be paying cash for every item he takes away then if he cant sell it then that's his problem, to be fair he seems happy at that so I'm thinking he already has buyers set up, I'm also thinking he wants a load of stuff made to order & that's yet to be discussed but I'm definitely not going to do production line stuff for anyone
never surrender !
mike-rf600r
Exhaust Technician

Post by mike-rf600r »

Lol that first lad you meantion sounds like me. Off hadnt been for distance I’d be purchasing off you tools the same :laughing-rolling: I thought about it many times from the first time you posted. I know profit when I see it.

Keep it up and keep it how you want. Your the boss don’t let someone try push you on a direction you don’t want or will take the fun out of it. Give yourself a decent margin that’s fair. Your a man who knows more than little Me anyways business wise as I’m still barely putting my toe in the water in comparison.

Keep at it. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Ride it like you stole it! - Bikes are for life, not just sunny days....
slim

Post by slim »

Lmao @ mike :laughing-rolling:

It still makes me smile when I see the first lad, he seems to think he had got one over on me because he was making money I maybe could have had myself, what he hadn't realised was I was still getting exactly what I would have sold the stuff for but he was storing it & having the problem of getting rid of it = free warehousing & advertising :D

Honestly I'm not greedy about it, my prices stay the same no matter where the stuff is going when it leaves me, I'm an old hand at buying & selling & really don't mind if someone else makes a few quid
never surrender !
mike-rf600r
Exhaust Technician

Post by mike-rf600r »

Very true and more often than not a quick flip at still decent money is so much better than waiting for that one person willing to pay top dollar price. Onto the next thing with quick flips soon build up a nice pot of profit. Keep stock rolling.
slim

Post by slim »

Well my new contact came on Saturday & cleared me out of all my remaining stock apart from 2 small pieces that I am fairly sure are sold anyway :-bd:

He then proceeded to order 4 stools with bigger tops all the same height & as many clocks as I have time to make when I'm able again :o :D just got to get this hand in usable condition now so I can get on with it :)
never surrender !
mike-rf600r
Exhaust Technician

Post by mike-rf600r »

Happy days. Just what you want. Nice chuck of change for you to reinvest and put some under The mattress no doubt. Well done sir.
novocaine

Post by novocaine »

Keeping slims thread alive while hes unable to.......

His and hers, and yes i'm thinking about picking up a bit steel to grind my own (i wish i was allowed a forge to make noise with)
20181009_204553.jpg
marmike

Post by marmike »

novocaine wrote:Keeping slims thread alive while hes unable to.......

His and hers, and yes i'm thinking about picking up a bit steel to grind my own (i wish i was allowed a forge to make noise with)
20181009_204553.jpg

great! they even stick to the wall like in those old baronial halls.
slim

Post by slim »

I quite like the swords, nice bit of work sir! :-bd:

You are right novo I haven't been able to do much until yesterday, previous to that I could pull the trigger on the mig just enough to get the gas on but couldn't pull it enough to get the wire spooling

In the mean time as soon as I could drive I went collecting bits then cleaned it down as well as I could & also sorted them out into piles so I could have a weld fest as soon as I could, not quite there yet but I did manage to tack a couple of clocks together yesterday & cut some timber for tops today :handgestures-thumbupleft:
never surrender !
novocaine

Post by novocaine »

good to hear you're on the mend. Want to borrow the SMAW, no trigger to pull. :-bd: :laughing-rolling:
slim

Post by slim »

Thanks novo I'm getting there slowly :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I was stick welding for 10+ years before I touched a mig & still have one here, to be honest I'm much better with a stick welder than a mig on reasonable thickness steel, just got bored with cleaning the slag up all the time :laughing-rolling:
never surrender !
slim

Post by slim »

After a couple of days of being able to weld to a reasonable standard again .............

Current stock that my contact is coming to look at & hopefully buy some of tomorrow :D
never surrender !
slim

Post by slim »

All gone :D

Now I need to get on with finding some more bits to make some more :roll:
never surrender !
jaz66

Post by jaz66 »

great result slim.. :-bd:
slim

Post by slim »

Well I used up the last of my bits & this is the result :!:

I'm not sure the trader will be getting this one as I really like it & have discovered what he's attempting to sell some of my stuff for :?

lets just say I'm shocked at what he thinks its worth :o don't get me wrong some of the stuff he's had he's trying to knock out at a small profit which is fair enough but bigger pieces :o I see I'm going to have to be careful with this bloke, I'm not completely daft though my prices to him just went up :lol:

A few people have said try to get into one of the London streampunk type shops & make some decent money off this stuff but I don't know what I'm looking for or where to start with that :?:
never surrender !