Hobbies.....

Non members can enter here but to read only.
Describe your non biking hobby here (keep it clean) and post a few pics if applicable but please make sure they are not massive and don't overload it with pics

Moderators: suzukigoof, b00geyman, novocaine, jaz66, rodge, badanimal

Old wobbler
The Bandit Killer

Hobbies.....

Post by Old wobbler »

.....Well as you can guess I have several. Heres a bit of one of my abstract hobbies. Tournament casting.

I started in 1985 as a development of a general fishing cast. There are a set of rules that you have to obey too. Line size, leader size and lead weight size. Apart from that its what you want you use. In 1989 I made my first ever 200 yard cast (two football pitches for those that dont know imperial measurements.)

I cast at the UKSF (United KIngdom Surf casting Federation) competition from 1992 to 1995 when my shoulder injury stopped me. MY best ever cast at UKSF was 251 yards 2 feet 3 inches. (In those days the world record was 283 yards.)

In 2002 I made my best every cast that was 267 yards, all on borrowed kit.

I still cast now, when I feel like it. I can power a 125gram lead 230m. NOt bad for a injured 57 year old. The UK record is now 318 yards.

If I can work out how to post a video of me in action with a fishing rod I will.
Old Wobbler

..... One day, when there was only a few left, I was lucky......
Kirbo

Re: Hobbies.....

Post by Kirbo »

Sounds like fun!

My fishing goes similar to that - I cast out but there's never any fish on the end when I reel it in :-?
Old wobbler
The Bandit Killer

Post by Old wobbler »

When I go fishing by 'Bro' limits us to 3 sets of tackle and then we go home. I usually snap a few off when I get into my full casting swing so my fishing time is limited to sorting reels out and putting more line on.
Old Wobbler

marmike

Post by marmike »

Old wobbler wrote:..
If I can work out how to post a video of me in action with a fishing rod I will.
That would be good - never heard of this as a sport/record thing but sounds impressive :ymapplause:
minority of 1. not statistically visible. copyright.
Old wobbler
The Bandit Killer

Post by Old wobbler »

This was me in my prime, 1993. I'm the one doing bunnie hopps on the left side of the group and laying the rod down flat. SAdly I'm not on the video of the group casting.

[youtube]VcgBrFdaKEg&t[/youtube]

THis is me at the UKSF Heats in 2016. I made the final but injury ment I didnt cast.

[youtube]Q4R0jutl4PU&t[/youtube]
Old Wobbler

pegscratch
Who am i?: Just another old guy that likes to go fast! Originally a Geordie, but too manyyears in the colonies, I only speak Canadian now

Post by pegscratch »

Hey! Wobbler I tried to look at your vids but youtube drew a blank when I searched for those terms.

Pete.
Nice to be on a Suzuki again!! 1996 RF on it's way to be my long distance tourer!
2012 Speed TripleR for the hooligan in me!
alien937

Post by alien937 »

Old wobbler
The Bandit Killer

Post by Old wobbler »

Old Wobbler

alien937

Post by alien937 »

This you?

Old wobbler
The Bandit Killer

Post by Old wobbler »

Yep.

Aint bad for a old boy with one shot shoulder and two knackered knees.
Old Wobbler

Old wobbler
The Bandit Killer

Post by Old wobbler »

Thats a great shot by the way.

You can see the lead in the air but its too high, my right hand is too high, the rod is snaking which is bad also and i'm looking at my shoulder than where I should be aiming. BUt that's the perfectionist in me.
Old Wobbler

slim

Post by slim »

I didn't even know this sport existed so am finding this interesting, fishing in any form doesn't appeal to me but this does after watching a few video's I'm impressed

Although I know nothing about it, if my body wasn't so knackered I could well be giving this a try just to see how hard it really is
never surrender !
Old wobbler
The Bandit Killer

Post by Old wobbler »

There is a world championship in casting, would you believe. England are sending a team out to the championship in Italy, held in June this year. There is also a 'light line' championship with weights as light as 7.5 grams.

It's expensive to go to, casters are drug tested and the prize money is just a medal and kudos.
Old Wobbler

slim

Post by slim »

I believe you mate a quick search says the kit can be damn expensive as well :-o

Its the same scenario as when I used to shoot (air rifles) I could have gone to Europe a few times but simply couldn't justify the expense for nothing more than a tin pot & I already got a few of those :))
never surrender !
Old wobbler
The Bandit Killer

Post by Old wobbler »

A full competition reel can be as much as £600. I use basic fishing reels with custom aircraft aluminum cages, specialized spools with ceramic bearings inside, so about £200 a pop. Some of my reels are nearly 30 years old and will cast as far as some guys with modern expensive kit.

Here's a few of my reels....Image [/img]
Old Wobbler