One of my hobbies

Non members can enter here but to read only.
Describe your non biking hobby here (keep it clean) and post a few pics if applicable but please make sure they are not massive and don't overload it with pics

Moderators: suzukigoof, b00geyman, novocaine, jaz66, rodge, badanimal

Batmancaver

One of my hobbies

Post by Batmancaver »

Well I manage to do LOTS of hobbies. Don't know how I find the time to do them all. They include: riding my RF600 of course, road biking (Claud Butler Milano), mountain biking XC (Marin Wolf Ridge full susser), Scouting, mountain walking, climbing, speleology, reading, target and rabbit shooting, wildlife watching and bat conservation to name most but not all.
Not going to post any pictures of them as I'm sure you've all seen similar.
Recently, however, I took up knife making. I don't make the blades themselves as I don't have the equipment (yet), but I make the handles and design, cut and hand sew the sheaths for them.
Here's a few examples.

My first attempt: A Lauri blade with a stacked handle of brass, willow, alder, bamboo, ebony with birch spacers and a larch burr top with an antler tipped firesteel.

A cheap Tomahawk gut-hook knife. A made a comfier handle for it and a magnetic neck sheath.

I bought a couple of Frost's Mora knifes cheaply at a show. I didn't like the rubber handles so I rehandled this one with an elm bur handle with red fibre liner and made a Scandi style sheath with antler button strap for it. I made the handle too small for me, but it's a good fit for the wife!

I've always had an interest in the American Bowie style knife so I bought a stainless steel Pakistani made blade and made this. It is a yew handle with layered brass, ebony and bone features. A curved and polished brass guard and I designed a more ornate patterned belt sheath with a mystery braid retaining strap.

I sometimes do a bit of fishing and sometimes need to fillet fish from the shops so I made a Lauri fillet knife using cocobolo wood and made another Scandi style sheath. For a change I got hold of some red dye to add a bit more style, but I don't have a foto of that!

My latest task was to make a set for my father-in-law for Xmas. I made a cocobolo, buffalo horn and brass handled handled knife with matching firestriker. I then made a rather complex design sheath which takes both the knife and the firesteel and also has a pocket for a BladeTech knife sharpener. Oh, and I fitted a small button compass as well !

What do you think?
My work colleague keeps accusing me of making more weapons than I need, personally I think she is just jealous!! :D :lol:
Drac
Location: South Gloucestershire (5m to Bristol & 13m to Bath)

Re: One of my hobbies

Post by Drac »

Now that would've been fantastic for the newsletter ~x( :sad:
speed3racer

Post by speed3racer »

Drac wrote:Now that would've been fantastic for the newsletter ~x( :sad:
Quick, while I'm not looking.. delete the thread! LOL

My Father is a Saddler, That's quite impressive leather work... Rare talent!

Hmm... just thinking up some justification (wife) for me to commision you to do a BFO knife...
yorkshirepuddin

Post by yorkshirepuddin »

Excellent, we should rename you to W.M.D.
fastfitter
Techy & Electrickery Bod & Official RFOC TV Critic

Post by fastfitter »

Cracking looking workmanship there mate, respect :thumleft:
weymouthrf6

Post by weymouthrf6 »

Nice.
RF jockey
Starship Captain
Location: Gedney Drove End.....err. halfway between Boston and Kings Lynn

Post by RF jockey »

Thats pretty darn cool fella. I was looking for someone to make a pair of butterfly knives a couple of years back.
millie

Post by millie »

hi bat man i do some stalkin from time to time i dont sure pose you wood like to sell any of your work if you do pm me millie thanks and good work :ymapplause:
Jelly
Resident Troll

Post by Jelly »

My uncle is a saddler and in your case I can say
DO give up your day job because you definately have the eye and skills to do that to a professional standard.
Top marks from me :-bd
"Now...say my name"

"It's......Heisenberg"

"You're God damn right"
novocaine

Post by novocaine »

nice work.

last knife i rehandled was a bowie knife which i did with an oak handle and the original brass tail and guard. was fun but never thought that people did it as a hobby. infact never thought about it at all.

where do you by things like blades from?
jaz66 wrote:Carbon fibre....It's just corduroy for vehicles.... :))
Batmancaver

Post by Batmancaver »

www.attacc.com/ Attleborough Accessories

www.brisa.fi/ Brisa knives in Scandinavia

Are the two companies I tend use. Sometimes you can get good bargains at some of the country shows as well.
Leather for sheaths I tend to use Le Prevo at www.leprevo.co.uk or Tandy Leather at www.tandyleatherfactory.co.uk

I really must get around to writing Drac a little article for the newsletter sometime.

Excuse the brevity of the reply but I am just about to log off at work and get home. Got a busy night ... more newt surveys for work. Should mean that I'll get home later about 1am! Why do the damn things have to be nocturnal!

Karl
Lucky Martin

Post by Lucky Martin »

Awesome work. I am still trying to make first one have arough blade that nneds polishing and stuff and am now looking to make the handle out of Olive wood. Not sure I would be able to get even any where near to the quality of sheath that you have. Very much most top marks
Headcase

Post by Headcase »

wow... that is some seriously nice work fella.... i am always amazed by people who have skills like that... too many people doing IT these days and not enough that can actually create something like that... :ymapplause:
Batmancaver

Post by Batmancaver »

Check out http://www.britishblades.com/forums/forum.php for hints, tips, ideas, etc.

oh and lots of work that puts mine to shame!