Bike of the Month - October 2014 - Kirbo's RF600

Members will be approached and asked to submit an article and pictures (can be taken from photobucket) of their bike. Don't ask us - we will ask you. rfinfo#

Moderators: suzukigoof, b00geyman, novocaine, jaz66, rodge, badanimal

Drac
Location: South Gloucestershire (5m to Bristol & 13m to Bath)

Bike of the Month - October 2014 - Kirbo's RF600

Post by Drac »

How do. It's been about a year now since you all became lumbered with me and since I haven't been asked to leave quietly yet, I thought I would show you that you really can polish a turd. Many of you already know my bike by now but it's nice for me to put it all down in one place and be able to tell you the whole saga, I mean story, glitter and all, so here goes...

So why an RF? Well this time last year I was really looking for a cheap and cheerful commuter - namely a CB500 or ER-5, and this particular RF popped up in my budget. From what I remembered of them I thought 'hmm - a bit oddball, a cross between a kitchen drainer and a barge, but lots of bike for the money' and the more I looked at it the more it grew on me.

So I popped over to Bolton motorcycles to see it. She was a tatty, unloved part-ex clearance but only had 16k miles, 2 previous owners and a fair amount of history - being sold with no warranty but a bit of T & T at £550. I liked the fact it was original and hadn't been messed with.

A cold and windy test ride later and money was exchanged plus the price of a new tyre fitted and I arranged to have it delivered as the brakes were binding and in need of a good overhaul.

A few days later my new found love was in my garage, though at first I had a few doubts - being used to trail bikes and commuters the RF felt like a GP racer, but after a few rides I started to get used to it.

As I bought it, warts and all:

Crusty forks and flaky wheels

At this point I found and joined the RFOC (and very glad I did too :cheers: ) and with the help of yourselves established that it had a German Vin code and had either never got there or was brought back over soon after - it's a '93 bike first registered in the UK in '94. We got the binding front brakes sorted with much thanks owed to my brother (Cheers Steve)

Sadly I had bought her this time last year so by now it's winter, and not the best pleasure riding weather.With oil and filter changed straight away I managed to get a couple of rides in but getting used to a new bike on cold wet winter roads isn't the best mix.

MOT time came around in Feb this year and with a sneaking suspicion that the rear shock was not damping anymore, I wasn't surprised that it failed but it failed on front AND rear suspension - lack of damping.......Bummer. There was no way I was going to make the re-test in 10 days that was for sure. Suck it up Ian, you knew it was cheap and now you know why :))

Due to funds, or lack of to be precise, and two youngsters at home I knew it would take most of the summer to put right. It's previous neglect was showing too, so while it was apart it would be cleaned and painted where necessary to save doing it further down the line. Though the last owner hadn't abused it, and had only done 1000 miles per year over the last 10 years, it had either been used as a submarine, or lived outside. The swingarm was rusty as were all exposed bolts. Also the fork lowers were furry and flaking. I did feel though that the engine was good and, as long as the oil had been done regularly, the low mileage should pay off in the long run........I hope.

So first job was the swingarm, many hours spent with rust removing gel and elbow grease, cups of coffee (no not on the rust fool) drill, dremel and wire brushes, even more badly affected were the pillion footrest hangers - I nearly gave up on these but persevered. Also in need of tlc were the luggage rails and chain adjuster guides, oh and the frame, the battery tray, and....

What a mess:

Primed and painted, the linkage bearings and rollers were all really smooth to my surprise apart from one which was replaced. I didn't fancy spacing the dogbones as per the GSXR mods, so plumped for another RF shock from a breakers down the road for a measly £20. When I collected it I was chuffed to see it was the 900 model with remote reservoir too. Before refitting I had some rust to remove from the frame and source some paint - what a ball-ache that was, despite having the correct paint codes and working at Halfords where we can mix paint I just couldn't get a match.

The only source seemed to be RS paint, but by the time you factor in Vat and P&P one 400ml can ends up being £18! No thanks, this isn't a concours restoration. In the end I opted for something grey from Halfords for a fiver, which isn't quite right but near enough and a damn sight better than brown rust. BTW - if you own a silver/purple 600 or black/purple 900 and want to get matching wheel paint - Ford 'Purple Velvet' is an exact match.

Rear end back in, half way there...

Fairings off next - err, no - not until I'd drilled out every single seized aluminium fastener that some one had fitted 10+ years ago in their wisdom :-l

Forks out and apart, rust had also got to the stanchions though luckily not on the seal area, more hours with scotchbrite and autosol got them as good as I could. With the help of the forum and the excellent genuine workshop manual downloaded they came apart nicely save for one damper rod bolt which was beginning to round off x_x the thought of drilling out the bolt was giving me cold sweats, enter my good friend the blow torch and out she came - it was just the threadlock that needed warming up, phew.

Thanks to more recommendations I ordered the Pyramid seal kit, fresh oil, some new spring clips and the damper bolt. The springs were well within tolerance - good that's less money needed, the bushes looked fine so time to re-furb the lowers and paint in aluminium to match the swingarm. I was surprised how straight forward the forks were to service and enjoyed doing it.

There were lots of other bits and bobs done in between, exhaust repaired, new air filter and plugs, improving fasteners etc

I covered up the pink stripe - I like the 90's look, but not that much ;;) It's still under there if I ever sell it. Grey and purple is enough contrast without bright pink added to the mix. Novocaine kindly made me some replacement side panel decals to replace the pink ones, and they are fab - just like the originals but in purple to match everything else - Thank you Dave \m/

By now about 5 months has passed, a few other loose ends sorted and time to fire her up - I expect it to burst into life and purr as she did before, but no - it's running on three cylinders :(( Got to be an easy fix surely - stale petrol? - no, plugs? - no. Ahh got it - fuel pump pipe was short and starting to kink - nope not that either. When replaced I noticed insulation tape on the old hose - what's this? Oh - someone has patched a hole, in a fuel pipe - with insulation tape! -the mind boggles 8-x

No more time to look into it now - the MOT's booked! And like a proper Rodney I'd chosen somewhere that was a bit further away so I could legally give it a run to the 'pre-arranged MOT'. Instead my journey went; splutter, stall, re-start, 200m further, splutter, stall, much cursing, re-start, bit further... you get the idea... I came close to chucking it in the hedgeback and forgetting the whole saga, I somehow arrived on the minute and must have looked like I'd carried the bike there not ridden it.

I honestly didn't expect it to pass and I said 'Are you sure?' when he handed me the certificate. Relieved that'd it'd passed but p*ssed off that I had to ride back through traffic knowing it would stall I chuntered at it 'just as well you passed you *$#" #*$#@*' - oh bugger it's stalled again. One hour later for a 10 minute journey I'm back home and reflecting on what to try next.

At this point I had to realise that the carbs had probably never been touched, but admittedly a job a bit beyond my capabilities. I had a chat to a friend, who used to service our car and likes to tinker with bikes for a hobby, turns out he's a wizard with carbs and he agreed to take a look. I limp the bike there coughing and spluttering and leave it in his capable hands.

I start looking at classifieds - I'm sick of this complex four cylinder nonsense and fiddly fairings and no centre-stand, what I need is a single cylinder, air cooled, shaft drive bike with no electrics and a kickstart, I see an RF and think better of it.

A week or two passes, hmm getting anxious - must be serious? Then I get the call, 'It's ready - I need you to come and take it for a run' - I was round there before he'd hung up the phone, more excited than a schoolgirl at a One Direction concert - I try and listen carefully - the carbs were leaky, dirty and way out of adjustment, the main issue was that the fuel pump was sticking, not uncommon when bikes are stood for long periods apparently, he'd sorted it and I could replace it if I want - but if the bikes going to be used regularly then see how it goes.

Right, keys in nervously, fire her up - sounds promising, into gear, wobble out of the drive (I've barely ridden for months now) across a few streets and an open road ahead, open her up - and sheeeeeeeeeeezus christ! It's responsive, crisp and so smooooth, it sounds different, it feels different - it IS different, I'm giggling out loud inside my lid, oh and it handles now too - the difference is incredible and I realise until today I'd been riding a bag of spanners. I return and shake Aiden's hand so much I think I dislocated his shoulder, I'm so chuffed and we adjust a couple of things and I try not to giggle anymore.

All that is needed I'm told is a new fan switch and temperature sender, now when I talk electrics I know the red bit on the battery is the bit that could fry me and that's about it.

Enter this guy...(Fastfitter)

though Jaz recently pointed out there's an uncanny resemblance to this fella:'Doc Yoda?'

...and next thing I know I've a multi-meter in hand, checking Ohms and Voltage and even beginning to understand it. Roy - Thank you, you are a legend and truly are the Yoda of all things RF. I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm Luke Skywalker though, not yet.

Yoda comparison is of wisdom Roy - not looks - I wouldn't be that cheeky ('cos I'll need your help in future!)

What the bike really needs is a good run out, and Nelsons is just round the corner - could it really make it - my old £500 banger?! A quick run out to Snaith and back confirms it - yes it still works, I wasn't imagining it!
Nelsons Sunday dawns - if ever it's going to break down today will be the day - the fuel pump will fail again I'm sure, the forks I rebuilt will collapse on the motorway, I make sure the breakdown number is in my phone. Anxious? You bet - but I needn't have worried - she didn't miss a beat all day, cruised there and back without even a flutter - I even got 130 miles before the fuel light started to glow - way more than I expected, and what an honour for mine to be pictured next to the other RF's I've come to know over the last year or so.

Pic courtesy of Illmor ^:)^

She's still not quite where I'd like, but she's tidy and running sweet and for now that's enough for me. Long term I would like to do the riser bar mod at some point, and my master mechanic reckons the head bearing wants doing soon - hence do it all at same time. Other than that just more tidying, oh and a hugger as I don't want the swingarm to rust again and it will be used all year round. And a fender extender too would be wise. If I still have it next year I may strip it right down and get the frame powder coated properly. You can see rust staining on the frame in the pic below which I want to eradicate.

Hands down it is the best bike I've owned yet to ride and everytime I look at the RF I love it a little bit more, it's somehow timeless, and looks better than most modern sportsbikes IMO. I've thought about the 900, but I'm not the biggest built guy (think Mr Burns from The Simpsons) so I think the 6 suits me just fine. There's a downside to the 900 - they never made it in this colour! I keep threatening to get an old enduro bike and have a go at 'vinduros' but would have to keep the RF too I think;

It's been a labour of love and frustration - I've easily spent double what I paid for her, but I don't mind - I know everything's been done now (cue engine blowing up) and I didn't realise until I was writing this that I've been calling it 'her' and 'she' - It's like a real relationship - because when it plays up I call her a b*#ch and a tw*t. ;))

Well, that's about the whole story, thanks to everyone over the last year who has helped, supported, commented or just plain taken the p*ss - it's all welcome :cheers:

Special thanks to:

Steve K - for your tireless efforts with brakes and general tricky stuff

Steve J W - for your advice, banter and generosity :ymhug:

Novocaine (Dave) - for the fantastic replacement decals ^:)^

Fastfitter - for your all your technical wizardry and explanations :salut:

Aiden - the master mechanic for sorting everything i couldn't.

Lastly to Drac for allowing my steed into the viewing arena \m/

I'd also like to thank my sponsors - Kenco, McVities (Choc digestive - not Rich Tea), GT85, Plusgas, Asda smartprice kitchen roll, and Vaseline.

See you out there!
alien937

Re: Bike of the Month - October 2014 - Kirbo's RF600

Post by alien937 »

Nice work! Looks classy again.

You failed to mention copper grease as a sponsor, or is that a mistake :-j
Privateer

Post by Privateer »

Your bike's looking great. All that work was worth it, she's a credit to you.
I may be growing old but I'm NEVER growing up.
Jelly
Resident Troll

Post by Jelly »

Great write up Kirbo, and you've done a good job there. :-bd
"Now...say my name"

"It's......Heisenberg"

"You're God damn right"
rodge

Post by rodge »

Excellent write up.
Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.
Thirsty

Post by Thirsty »

A great story thanks for sharing.
Nerves of Steel, Heart of gold Knob of Butter
Tankslapper

Post by Tankslapper »

A brilliant write up Kirbo , and inspirational to keep my RF going . So good to see anorher one back in use on the road . :D ^:)^
Tony V

Post by Tony V »

Nice one Kirbo, good to see new life breathed into the old neglected girl \m/
Never rub another mans rhubarb!
R-dubya
Off Road Advisor

Post by R-dubya »

Great write up :-bd :-bd :-bd

Brings back many happy memories of my silver 600 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Kirbo

Post by Kirbo »

Thanks lads and Thank you very much Drac it looks much better how you've laid it out - I hope it wasn't too much of a head ache!
Drac
Location: South Gloucestershire (5m to Bristol & 13m to Bath)

Post by Drac »

Kirbo wrote:Thanks lads and Thank you very much Drac it looks much better how you've laid it out - I hope it wasn't too much of a head ache!
To be honest, it was the easiest I have ever done. You did all the hard work, just a few things I needed to change
mike-rf600r
Exhaust Technician

Post by mike-rf600r »

Lovely write up, lovely looking bike, gonna have to redo my swing arm at some point, pillion pegs also though may get another set and get powdercoated. Thanks for this has given me more motivation to do more work on mine.

mike
Ride it like you stole it! - Bikes are for life, not just sunny days....