Bike of the Month - RfGirl's RF900 - October 2010

Members will be approached and asked to submit an article and pictures (can be taken from photobucket) of their bike. Don't ask us - we will ask you. rfinfo#

Moderators: suzukigoof, b00geyman, novocaine, jaz66, rodge, badanimal

Drac
Location: South Gloucestershire (5m to Bristol & 13m to Bath)

Bike of the Month - RfGirl's RF900 - October 2010

Post by Drac »

I never thought I would ever own a motorcycle, I had always seen myself as the pillion kind of person, but after a while of sitting on pillion seats the size of postage stamps it was time to get my own licence and bike, after all a lot of my friends have bikes, so I saved up and did my DAS and had a licence to ride any size of motorcycle within a month, so I have framed my pass certificates as proof they were nuts enough to give me a licence.

My First bike

GPZ500, bought it as I was going through the DAS for £300 of eBay, good little bike but I had no confidence on it, it didn’t feel very solid , so sold it for a tidy profit, that’s why in the picture above I look so happy, it was taken the day I sold it.

Onto my next bike…

The fantastic Cagiva River 500, I loved this little bike, it what I needed to get my confidence built on motorways and little country roads, it could easily hit 100mph, it had Brembo brakes, upside down forks, a lovely sound as it was a single cylinder thumper - and it could run for ever on a full tank of fuel.

All this was great having the Cagiva , except I wanted something with a little more grunt, a bit bigger and had no idea what to get, so on the advice of my other half he suggested an RF900, because that was his first big bike and said it would perfect for me, so.. trolled the internet trying to find out about them, first thought was “dear gawd they are git ugly” no thanks, until one day I seen one for sale in Darwin, and ended up buying it after a day trip to Blackpool via Darwin for a look.

I love my RF. I’ve done a fair bit to bring the bike more up to date. Like flush indicators front and back, double bubble screen, carbon yoke cover, Hooterz horns, after market Beowulf exhaust, Stainless Steel Torque Arm, and the ever popular Tony Archer seat, rear hugger, all the usual stuff, I have even reshaped the under tray around the licence plate after taking off the rear indicators to give smoother lines.

I even had to once replace the fuel tank because it sprung a leak, and was so lucky to find another for sale for not a lot of money not far from where I lived. I also disconnected the elusive pink wire and have to admit it does make a difference in the gears and will even go as far to say it makes a difference in the fuel consumption as well, as in the difference being a hell of a lot better making the 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears in mid range revs much smoother. And an ever bigger joy to ride.

The only mods left to do to the bike, when funds permit, would to be get wavy brake disks, front and back, some braided hoses, maybe a colour coded under tray , probably an ignition advancer, the possibilities are endless, but one thing can be guaranteed upon, whatever I chose to do with the bike, the gang at the RFOC will be there to help me out with all my questions as they have been since the day I joined the club.

All the Best

RfGirl
Tony V

Re: Bike of the Month - RfGirl's RF900 - October 2010

Post by Tony V »

She is a beauty Caroline, and beautifully maintained. Nice one :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd

Ever thought about painting a collar and tie on that tent? or a Star Trek badge on the lapel. It looks like the top half of a futuristic suit coming out of the ground :)) :))
Never rub another mans rhubarb!
RfGirl

Post by RfGirl »

Im also in the middle of doing some stuff to the bike.. its got a new rear wavey brake disc, a new pyramid hugger, new set of head bearings, and im in the middle of repainting the forks and giving them a a make over. new break pads all round, all fluids drained and replaced and shall be giving the carbs a clean and balance next week. SO the bike will be ready for the season ending to sit in a garage and do nothing [-( :))
miff

Post by miff »

Nice read and a nice lookin bike.
ADMAN

Post by ADMAN »

Congrats on your choice... :-bd
rf ro
Domino King

Post by rf ro »

very nice rfg your a good girl for keeping those wheels so tidy now go to the top of the class \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/
you can't make an omelette without breaking BREAKING eggs
hughie
The Geordie Destroyer

Post by hughie »

^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ :-bd :-bd :-bd
HUGH EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

U.S.S WARWICK HUNT
Jelly
Resident Troll

Post by Jelly »

Good read, but I found myself acting like one of those voice over artists that work on points of view.

I read it (in my head) in my best Scottish accent, Mel Gibsons is better :)) :)) :))

Nice bike too Caroline :-bd
"Now...say my name"

"It's......Heisenberg"

"You're God damn right"
bigtom

Post by bigtom »

a lovely faster black one rfgirl,a credit to your hard work ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^
cling on

Post by cling on »

Always thought your bike was a good one Caroline. You put most of us to shame with how well you look after her. Mine is shut up now until funds allow me to do a few things to get her back on the road. Well done you. :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
RfGirl

Post by RfGirl »

cling on wrote:Always thought your bike was a good one Caroline. You put most of us to shame with how well you look after her. Mine is shut up now until funds allow me to do a few things to get her back on the road. Well done you. :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

:)) she is actually a he :p
yorkshirepuddin

Post by yorkshirepuddin »

Tidy ! Tidy ! Tidy !
emerald

Post by emerald »

Nice Bike Caroline well looked after :good:
RfGirl

Post by RfGirl »

:ymblushing: Thank you for all the nice replys... :-bd
dg

Post by dg »

Very well deserved ocalade. This is a very fine example of the RF9's
Too worn out to ride - too young to die.
Dave G Hackett.
Drac
Location: South Gloucestershire (5m to Bristol & 13m to Bath)

Post by Drac »

RfGirl wrote::ymblushing: Thank you for all the nice replys... :-bd
I never sent a nice reply - I had to translate it from Scottish to Readable ;) =))

Only joking everyone - Caroline writes very good ENGLISH!!!!! :lol:
owtyerlike

Post by owtyerlike »

It looked a lot neater and shinier than mine when we met up and your still not finished :shock: I'm sure it will sparkle when all done keep up the good work :-bd
shandy

Post by shandy »

:ymapplause: looks great! Surely not still tempted by those triumphs?
dg

Post by dg »

Very well deserved my girl. That is one cracking looking bike.
Too worn out to ride - too young to die.
Dave G Hackett.
RfGirl

Post by RfGirl »

Thanks Guys.....What I will need to do is get some more pics of the bike with all its new add ons.. rear wavey disk, and new rear hugger.. what else?? .. oh aye.. newly painted front forks.. :D
irideforlife

Post by irideforlife »

Nice bike, and the best colour too - same as mine

Wavy disks look good, so hope you like mine

RfGirl

Post by RfGirl »

:D Love them...