Bike of the Month - Suzukigoof's RF900 - April 2011

Members will be approached and asked to submit an article and pictures (can be taken from photobucket) of their bike. Don't ask us - we will ask you. rfinfo#

Moderators: suzukigoof, b00geyman, novocaine, jaz66, rodge, badanimal

Drac
Location: South Gloucestershire (5m to Bristol & 13m to Bath)

Bike of the Month - Suzukigoof's RF900 - April 2011

Post by Drac »

While doing my DAS, I decided to buy a bike to give me an added incentive to push and get through my test. Having not been on a bike apart from the learning ones, I thought it best to go for a 600cc and started pounding ebay and mcn etc for ideas and to see if I fancied anything.

While trawling through ebay one night I spotted the Suzuki gsx600f, really liked the look of them and decided to have a closer look. Another search later and I found this and immediately loved it. It was on at £750 or best offer and put in cheeky offer of £645 and it was accepted straight away.

Now the problem was telling the wife and also finding the money for it. I had used all I saved for the DAS and was panicking I can tell you.

Decided on selling my PS3 and all the games I had which, along with some extra 'personal' savings I had, (unknown to her that has to be obeyed)
I managed to scrape it together. Myself and my brother in law set off one wild and cold Saturday morning for the trek down to north Wales to pick her up. Arrived and seen her sitting all polished and gleaming and I was in heaven.

I passed my test and started to enjoy the bike a lot. Little bits and pieces were starting to need doing on her, shocker, shock linkage bearings etc and it became clear that the bike was just too wee for me, to be honest my cousin had been telling me for a while (in a nice way) that I was killing it with my size so, with great reluctance, I took some pics and put her on ebay.

Not really with a great description or anything as I really wanted to keep her, definitely a case of heart ruling head. After a couple of days I got the offer of a CB500 and the Holy Grail - the RF900.

I phoned my cousin for a bit of advice and said the RF was a brilliant bike and perfect for me and to get in touch with the owner and see what he was proposing.

The owner came back to me with the bombshell he was willing for a straight swap if I was willing.

I bit his hand off and arranged to meet him at Penrith, as it was about half way for both of us to travel, and have a look over each other’s bikes. We met, and I loved the RF straight away, as did the other guy with mine and we said our goodbye's with different bikes. As soon as I jumped on the RF I loved it, I couldn't believe my luck.

The ride back was brilliant, wee niggle was that the brakes weren't as good as the gsxf but never thought anymore about it. Took it up to my cousin's the next day and he couldn't wait to get on it, off he went and IU could hear him giving it some 'beans' along his private road then back he came with a huge smile on his face. Only niggle he had was the brakes just didn't seem as responsive as he remembered them.

We set about trying to find the cause and oh boy was there a PROBLEM.......the fork oil had been leaking onto the brake disc AND the caliper bolts were loose or finger tight. I was horrified and felt sick when I thought what could of happened it was not good. I decided to leave the bike with Derek and phoned a couple of days later and news was worse, the bolts, nuts etc on the complete front end were loose or finger tight.

Anyway everything was sorted and a complete service was given, then I decided on a couple of 'extras' that were needed.

I got the obligatory Tony Archer seat, and I know some of the guys on here have had some problems with him but I can honestly say the guy was a gentleman with me and the seat was perfect when it was returned.

I changed the rear indicators for smaller ones, the horn was feeble so fitted a couple of 'hooterz' ones and oh boy they can be heard lol.

The handlebar position was a little uncomfortable for me so decided to do a 'cheap fix' before I purchased the proper conversion kit from M&P.

I purchased a pair of bandit risers and handlebars from ebay (£40 for the lot) also some braided lines and set about fitting them.

What a difference!! I would certainly recommend that anyone thinking of this modification should go ahead and do it.

A flip-up screen aided with the wind protection now I was sitting more upright.

Flush fitting front indicators, a 12 volt cigarette fitting, new front brake discs (sprayed the middle blue to go with bike), bigger battery have all been little add on's in the last couple of months.
Still to do are hugger, rear shock refurb, chain and sprockets and I think I will pretty much be there.

But, it doesn't matter what I do or what troubles lie ahead as I know I only need to 'post' on the RFOC and I will get all the advice ,as well as the bloody cheek, I need.

A big thanks to Drac and the rest of the admin for a brilliant, friendly site it really is the dogs doo dahs lol.

If you want your bike to feature on BIKE OF THE MONTH then contact Drac and remember it doesn't have to be an RF
waynedl

Re: Bike of the Month - Suzukigoof's RF900 - April 2011

Post by waynedl »

Nice bike and a bargain by the sounds of it.

I don't think that the swapper deliberately tried to do you though as it sounds in the advert, for 1 simple reason.. You said you met 1/2 way, which means he'd travelled 1/2 way on it like that too.

Scary to think that some people don't know, but we've all made mistakes, ask anyone on here about my rear brake fitting from a few years ago :-o

Anyway, lovely bike, enjoy her and take it easy \m/
owtyerlike

Post by owtyerlike »

Not too keen on colour but clear to see you look after it :-bd
cling on

Post by cling on »

I really like the colours! :-bd
bigtom

Post by bigtom »

top bike love the seat,had the same colours on a 1.6 capri i had many moons ago.great looking bike ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ :-bd :-bd
ADMAN

Post by ADMAN »

Your RF looks VERY familiar... \m/

Jelly
Resident Troll

Post by Jelly »

Top looking bike RF there SG, good read too :-bd
"Now...say my name"

"It's......Heisenberg"

"You're God damn right"
Drac
Location: South Gloucestershire (5m to Bristol & 13m to Bath)

Post by Drac »

The colours of the bike are good but replacing the purple decals with white, in my opinion, would make it look soooooo much better
suzukigoof

Post by suzukigoof »

Thanks guys for the nice comments still working on bits and pieces. Drac you have certainly gave me food for thought there with the white 900, after the little spill i need to take that decal off to get the panel resprayed so maybe just maybe :-? :-? :-? :-? any body do me a photoshop thingy or whatever its called to show it in white??? Plz :ymhug: :thumleft:
JUST RIDE IT