Bike of the Month - July 2011 - Jelly's 'Buffalo'

Members will be approached and asked to submit an article and pictures (can be taken from photobucket) of their bike. Don't ask us - we will ask you. rfinfo#

Moderators: suzukigoof, b00geyman, novocaine, jaz66, rodge, badanimal

Drac
Location: South Gloucestershire (5m to Bristol & 13m to Bath)

Bike of the Month - July 2011 - Jelly's 'Buffalo'

Post by Drac »

Image Well it was touring bikes that got me into big bikes in 2004, I saw a Pan European ST1100 and it flicked my switch straightaway.

So it was no surprise that after owning the RF for 3 ½ years that my eye started to get caught by these ADV bikes, good tourers than can leave the tarmac once in a while.

I started to look at ADV’s last spring and was always scouting eBay and the bike trader to see what was what and generally get my self genned up on them.

Then last month (April) I saw a h*nda Varadero which I really liked the look of, it’s the replacement for the Africa Twin which to be honest seem very overpriced due to the kudos that surrounds them.

This one I saw seemed to good to be true, £1400 starting bid and it was local to me. As soon as I saw it I emailed the buyer and offered a swap with the RF, “Thanks but no thanks” was the reply, Bugger!

Then I got thinking, I was offered £900 for the RF by a local dealer 6 months ago, I’ll sell the RF and add the £500 to get the Varadero. The seller agreed that If I came down with £1400 cash and providing he had had no bids he would take my cash and end the auction.

The race was on, flog the RF and hightail it down to Margate before anyone made a bid! First I offered the RF to Alec1 has he had shown a keen interest at Nelsons a few weeks earlier but he couldn’t line up a buyer for his VTR1000.

Before I took it the dealer I offered it to Fat Rich as I knew his engines had just gone south, he thanked me but declined as he had his eye on one up north. Later that night Fat Rich contacted me and to cut a long story short he said he’d have the RF and could have the cash the very next day, result, she sells quick and to not only an RFOC member but a good friend too, everyone’s a winner.

So I met Rich the next day at 6pm, cash, keys and V5 exchanged I was off to Margate in a mates van, I was constantly checking on eBay to see if there were any bids, it was a nervous trip as I had committed myself to the deal, and had just let the RF go!

I arrived to see it out on the drive, result. Checked it over with my mate and it seemed fine although it had no history after a short ride I snapped the buyers arm off and the deal was done and I rode it home, beaming form ear to ear!

The ad had already stated that it came a Scotoiler and with full h*nda luggage, it’s a bit tatty but it works, but the guy also had a set of Givi crash bars and a tank cover too!

Once I started to do some more digging it became apparent that I almost had £1400 worth of extras including

Renthal bars - Centre stand - Touring scotoiler - Fenda extenda - New Michelin Anakee tyres as well as the already mentioned luggage and crash bars!

So the next evening I got to work, checking everything out, luggage, scotoiler etc etc.
Lucky Martin popped in to help with the scotoiler and had a good poke around at it too.

Image Since then I’ve done a quite a few bits and pieces on it, Oil and filter change, Heated grips (bought from Batmancaver, cheers again Karl)
Re sprayed the crash bars and fitted them, Straightened the brake pedal out! Balanced the carbs (well Ollie balanced them for me, thanks again Ollie), Fitted a 12v socket and my sat nav, Adapted the screen with a home made aero foil

I’ve got a piece of sheep skin on the seat for (even) extra comfort and last week I put an inflatable travel cushion under the sheep skin, just enough air in it to lift my backside off of the seat, bliss.

Replaced the cam chain tensioners and spark plugs with the help of Alec1, cheers mate.
There are a few more things I want to fettle with but I’ll save those for some future articles.

SatNav fitted, you can also see the heated grips controller.

The aforementioned piece of ‘dead animal’ Image
As for the riding of it, well to be honest I’m blown away at just how comfortable it is, not just to sit on but to ride, the high wide position of your arms makes for some real fun twisties, not necessarily fast (snigger snigger) but just as if not more enjoyable than anything else I’ve ridden.

Being able to stay in the saddle is coupled up with the tank range, it has a 25 litre tank and going easy on the throttle responses gave almost 240 miles!

I've done a little off roading/track riding type stuff and it is without doubt a top heavy beast at slow speeds on the tarmac, let alone on gravel tracks, but I haven’t crashed or dropped it yet, finger crossed.

On my little ‘Adventure’ to Stockbridge.

Hayling Island
So to summarise I can honestly say, even after all the leg pulling and piss taking that I’ve had from the RFOC, that this is my ‘bestest’ bike ever and I absolutely love it to bits, I just can’t get enough of it!

Before you all come beating at my door, if I had the money and space I would’ve definitely kept the RF, purely on its looks, well before Fat Rich got hold of it anyway!!!
Tony V

Re: Bike of the Month - July 2011 - Jelly's 'Buffalo'

Post by Tony V »

Nice one Jelly, she does look a lovely specimen, glad she floats your boat in such a big way \m/
Never rub another mans rhubarb!
ADMAN

Post by ADMAN »

That's a big bike, M8!!! :-bd

You might want to get that GPS looked at, though. :-?
Finbar

Post by Finbar »

Nice one Jells. :-bd And we don't mind you cluttering up Stockbridge either.. =))
Must admit I'm looking towards that type of bike myself. The little legs are the problem at the moment.. :?
RfGirl

Post by RfGirl »

I like that bike.. looks like a lot of fun.. :-bd
jaz66

Post by jaz66 »

ADMAN wrote:That's a big bike, M8!!! :-bd
..... :-?
You did notice he was kneeling down, right.... :ymhug:
he really is MUCH taller then that........ =))

:)) :))

Looking good jells, starting to win a few of the heretics over.... 8-}
Jelly
Resident Troll

Post by Jelly »

RfGirl wrote:I like that bike.. looks like a lot of fun.. :-bd

Every inch that I ride it. :-bd

Not for the vertically challenged though, I'm a tad over 6' in my sidis and still can't get the balls of my feet down!
"Now...say my name"

"It's......Heisenberg"

"You're God damn right"
alec

Post by alec »

Jelly wrote:
RfGirl wrote:I like that bike.. looks like a lot of fun.. :-bd

Every inch that I ride it. :-bd

Not for the vertically challenged though, I'm a tad over 6' in my sidis and still can't get the balls of my feet down!
no good for Luckymartin then seeing as he's only 4ft 3 =))
shandy

Post by shandy »

Nice! Keep on enjoying the bike mate!
Woody

Post by Woody »

That looks really nice and brought a tear to my eye having not long sold my Tenere.

Might look for something black and hairy to stop the seat slippage too after seeing that :good:
pagey

Post by pagey »

nice bike jelly tot 8-) i see you are still in love with that sheep :o :D :D :D :D