It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: pink wire - The search engine wont find it so here you are
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:26 pm 
I have a 94 rf900r. Any of you try cutting the pink wire under the seat? I've read things here and there about it. It's supposed to retard the engine timing to lean up the lower three gears so the a/f mix is lined up with the airflow (in other words, when you're at higher speeds with more fuel from the pump and air from the speed, it dumps more fuel in / changes the engine timing - or something like that).

"Most RFs have about 125 at the crank, but you can get a lot, lot more. To meet American emission standards they did the same trick as on the gixxers - look for the pink wire just under the battery on the gear lever side - more midrange power in 3rd gear if you undo it." -forum

"The pink wire connected to the ECU of some of the later 900 bikes retards the ignition timing in the lower 3 gears to make the bike more user friendly, limiting the ability to spin up the rear wheel out of corners, and reduced wheelie tendencies. Disconnecting this pink wire removes this feature."-wiki

"If someone says they have cut the 'pink wire' then walk away from the bike. It doesn't increase the power it just makes it feel like it, and is potentially damaging to the bike. Suzuki issued a specific warning NOT to do this."-forum

"There's a lot of talk about cutting a pink wire to give yourself a bit more power. The story goes this pink wire is only there to get the bike through European and American emissions rules. It is meant to retard power at around 5000rpm to this end.
The only reports I've seen on people who had done it say it feels like it makes no difference, but I've seen no evidence on a dyno."-forum

"Disconnecting this wire to increase performance is a common misconception. If you were to disconnect the gear position (pink) wire on any Suzuki EFI motorcycle, poor performance and possible engine damage will result.
This rumor started because earlier model carburated GSX-R1100's used a pink wire to retard ignition timing in first gear to improve traction. Some tuners discovered that disconnecting the wire increased engine HP output in first gear. The motorcycle did produce more engine output with the wire disconnected, but it became more difficult to accelerate from a stop and actual acceleration and traction was reduced. But riders liked the "feel" of increased engine performance.
The Gear Position Switch wire is also colored pink on the GSX1300R Hayabusa, as it is on previous Suzuki's. Like the TL, this switch providestransmission gear information to the motorcycle's Electronic Control Module (ECM).
Some mechanics and consumers have experimented with disconnecting this wire to improve performance or drivebality (especially during the very early TL1000S driveablity problems before Suzuki released the improved, revised ECM). As the rider selects higher gears, the ECM changes the injector duration, usually longer, producing a richer mixture to compensate for the additional air provided by the SRAD ram air system. Without the additional fuel, the mixture will become lean, performance will deteriorate and engine component damage is possible. Since a disconnected gear position wire will make the ECM think the transmission is in neutral, the injector duration is longer than it might be in the first couple of gears. This is why the customer might feel a "seat of the pant" driveablity improvement".
A mechanic using a Dyno may see different, or improved HP with the wire disconnected.BUT, since the dyno is testing a static motorcycle without a pressurized air box from the ram air system, the results do not indicate real world performance. A fully operational EFI system on a dyno will indicate lower peak power as the mixture is slightly rich. Disconnecting the "pink wire" will lean the mixture to a better level for a non-moving motorcycle. Once again, leaving the wire disconnected will reduced on-the-road performance and could lead to engine damage."-supposed Suzuki warning about cutting the pink wire *ON HAYABUSAS*

http://forum.oldskoolsuzuki.info/cgi-bi ... 1141782772
^They call it the "wheelie wire" on here

The previous owner of my bike ran it straight pipe, so he had the carbs set pretty rich. I put the stock muffler back on, so my bike was way too rich. It feels a good deal smoother now. I think it leaned it up to the point of "fixing" the bottom end. Is this just psychosomatic? Anybody know anything about this? I'll run some tests on it later...

Report this post

Post subject: Re: pink wire - can't find any useful info on it!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:31 pm 
Domino King

ahh the old pinkie again im sure there plenty of peeps on here that have cut the wire with no ill effects including myself

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:35 pm 
hey iv d/c the pink wire its made bit dif on the lower end but not much on the top end :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil:

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:36 pm 
Do you know anything more about it? What was your a/f ratio like before? Have you ever adjusted it? Also, what muffler are you running - stock? Anybody had any tests done on their pink-wire-virginity-taken bike?

Anybody had any problems yet?

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:36 pm 
Resident Troll

Wow, you've certainly done your research!
I decided to disconnect the legendary pink wire but a previous owner had beaten me to it.
I have no reference to any differences in being connected or not but
I do know that my 95 RF9 goes like stink, it'll outride my abilities easy.

A whole load of opinions will be coming soon from more knowledgable
people than me.

Jelly.

"It's......Heisenberg"

"You're God damn right"

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:38 pm 
Techy & Electrickery Bod & Official RFOC TV Critic

Pulled mine apart at the connector many years ago and it's still running fine, no other mods at all - standard airbox, filter and can. Definitely feels sharper. One day I'll get it on a dyno and try it on and off if I cba :thumleft:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:06 pm 
cba?

Btw, I'm really glad to hear you guys haven't had problems. I only read the Suzuki Hayabusa pink wire warning after I went out and cut mine... *facepalm*

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:16 pm 
Techy & Electrickery Bod & Official RFOC TV Critic

indi27 wrote:
cba?

Can/Can't Be Ar$ed - slang English expression meaning bothered. e.g. I couldn't be ar$ed to clean my bike this week, or I'll cut the grass tomorrow if I can be ar$ed :thumleft:

Mucking about with the ECU on an FI bike might have repercussions on the mixture or whatever, I've no experience on that sort of electronic wizardry. With the RF it obviously can't affect the carbs. When I disconnected mine (because I found it and wondered what it would do) it felt sharper straight away. In fact my neighbour commented that 'You shot off a bit quicker than usual this morning' :)

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:26 pm 
I'm really pretty sure mine feels sharper now.
Quote:
With the RF it obviously can't affect the carbs.

I meant more that Suzuki said (I think... I've read a lot today...) that the pink wire made the lower three gear run leaner to compensate for less airflow, which is where I got the whole running lean thing. I didn't think it had to do with carbs. There's a lot of room for the mysterious "pink wire effects", but I definitely can't see how that could affect the carbs (especially since they aren't electrically affected... well, maybe you can count the fuel pump being electrically affected... but otherwise...)

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:52 pm 
The Bandit Killer

Stick 'Pink wire' into the search facility on this site and see what you come up with. A lots been said about already.

..... One day, when there's only a few left, and I'm lucky, then maybe .....

Report this post
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next