Distractions

Non members can enter here but to read only.
Describe your non biking hobby here (keep it clean) and post a few pics if applicable but please make sure they are not massive and don't overload it with pics

Moderators: suzukigoof, b00geyman, novocaine, jaz66, rodge, badanimal

badanimal
The Gatekeeper

Re: Distractions

Post by badanimal »

Too much stuff to comment on.. :-o

So i'll just say they all look very good :-bd
IN THE END YOUR LIFE WILL FLASH BEFORE YOUR EYES... MAKE SURE IT'S WORTH WATCHING
slim

Post by slim »

Cheers BA :)
never surrender !
slim

Post by slim »

An uplighter to go under my mate slabby on its display plinth that I made a few weeks ago

Not my design & I don't particularly like it but its what he wanted, I have another (different) one to make for him at some point & its a right pain in the arse, the worst thing is I wont even get paid :|
never surrender !
badanimal
The Gatekeeper

Post by badanimal »

slim wrote:An uplighter to go under my mate slabby on its display plinth that I made a few weeks ago
I hope thats a 12v double insulated uplighter going in it [-x :)

just remember to weld an extra nut and bolt on for an earth tag on a 240v one :))

slim wrote: Not my design & I don't particularly like it but its what he wanted, I have another (different) one to make for him at some point & its a right pain in the arse, the worst thing is I wont even get paid :|
I love it :-bd :-bd :-bd I think thats ace :-bd :-bd I really do..

is it adjustable on the pin ?
IN THE END YOUR LIFE WILL FLASH BEFORE YOUR EYES... MAKE SURE IT'S WORTH WATCHING
slim

Post by slim »

Hey Ba I guessed you would comment on the electricals :)) its having G4 led's on a transformer plug (if that's the right term?) so low voltage & safe apparently?

its a sparky that will be wiring it & he seems to know what he's about, I think the hardest part will be sticking the bulb holders in without drilling through the piston for a fixing, he seems to think he has a glue/resin that will work but its not really my problem at the minute :)) might be an issue if I make any to sell on so I'm keeping an eye on what he does & will be sure to ask your advice if I'm not sure mate :-bd

Yes it adjusts on the pin mate that was part of why it was a pig to work out, the second one has two pistons on it one big that will go up/down & one small that will go side to side, I will chuck a pic up when its done :)

Glad you like it mate I'm still not sure myself but my mate just picked it up & he's chuffed to feck :-bd
never surrender !
badanimal
The Gatekeeper

Post by badanimal »

Haa.. I was only joking :))

G4's LED anyway. Araldite would do..

I think it's brilliant.. :-bd I can just imagine them lighting a bike up..

and fetching good money

slim wrote: but my mate just picked it up & he's chuffed to feck :-bd
Im not surprised :)) I would be :-bd

waitin for a pic of the other :-bd
jaz66

Post by jaz66 »

slim wrote:An uplighter to go under my mate slabby on its display plinth that I made a few weeks ago
Well slim on first impressions it looks good.. B-)

But then i had a second look...

and i liked it even more... :ymparty:

Nice work, can quite see that in the situation you describe..well smart. :-bd
slim

Post by slim »

Thanks for the positive comments folks :-bd

I am quite looking forward to seeing them lit up & sat under the bike as I cant quite visualise how it will look at the moment, I will try & remember to get a pic of them in place when its all sorted

Thinking about it I'm surprised some of you like it as I still think its a bit tat but from the comments here & elsewhere I might have to look at this electickery malarkey in more detail & knock up a few similar ones to sell :)

I have enough pistons to make quite a few & spanners etc are easy enough to come by but that took the best part of a day + welding wire, gas, electric & propane to make & I don't know what the sparky bits cost so the question is what is something like that really worth ?
never surrender !
badanimal
The Gatekeeper

Post by badanimal »

Their going to look smart :-bd

yeah dont forget a pic of them lighting the bike up

Dunno what their worth.. now you done a prototype you could probably knock a few up in a day..

£150 on ebay usa and China :-bd (Fk sake, if they can sell british air to the chineese at 80 quid a jar, you can sell them for more)

As regards lectrics.. theres a load of selling laws electrical safety blah blah, so if they were mains youd have to have them tested. PAT test would probably do, but unecessary expence.

If you bought something from B&Q that was LED with a plug transformer all marked up, then you bypass all that :-bd
Like them dumb plastic LED rocks they have.

Just stick them in with araldite metal fix stuff from the same B&Q :-bd
slim

Post by slim »

A very quick ebay session says 10 g4 bulbs are under 5 quid, bulb holders under 3 & the plug a fiver to a tenner depending on watts, even cheaper from chinky chonk land :-o

Yeah I could probably make two lights in a day but I cant see being able to do more than that as the limiting factor is how long it takes to heat up the spanners enough for them to bend nicely then waiting time for them to cool enough to handle again

I could easily make 3 stool bottoms or a table base in the same time so I'm wondering if its worth the effort :-s

I started off doing this stuff again purely for fun but its ended up as what has kept my head above water these last couple of months & I already have 5 items that I invested time & a fair bit of money in that are sitting unsold :(

On a happier note I figured out a method of dying burnt timber nice & cheaply & can do most colours so a couple of the stools that still haven't sold might have the tops refinished to see if that helps get them gone ;)
never surrender !
slim

Post by slim »

Here is the other one, both pistons adjust ;)

Pain in the arse to make so I have decided only to make more if someone wants to pay 30 to 40 quid for one without wiring :-s
never surrender !
slim

Post by slim »

Here is the first test of dyed shou sugi ban I should be able to do loads of different colours now I have sussed it, what do you lot think of it ?

In other news I picked up loads of cranks etc today so could be making quite a few things but as I have a few things unsold & getting in the way I don't think I will bother unless its to order :|
never surrender !
slim

Post by slim »

Folk seeing this ashtray last night netted me two commissions for random stuff :D
never surrender !
badanimal
The Gatekeeper

Post by badanimal »

You should do and FB page or web site on this lot
slim

Post by slim »

badanimal wrote:You should do and FB page or web site on this lot
Cant be doing with FB mate but I am thinking about a website Fb type folk can link to, I was chatting to a mate about it last night as it goes :-bd
never surrender !
badanimal
The Gatekeeper

Post by badanimal »

Dont get roped into costly deals from net experts.. and any of this we'll get you top of Google bolox.. Thats easy - Pay Google.

You can do your own quite easily.. Some are not a lot different from creating posts on a forum..

and there are plenty of free ones..

Wordpress etc

or even just good old Google.. If you have a Gmail account you have a pile of webspace to use for free, and make a pile of sites.

Thers loads of vids on youtube

Theres even a Google web site builder tool of you want to go mad with it..
https://www.google.com/webdesigner/index.html

I remember the days of a penny a min dial up - back then every account gave yo web space to make a web using frontpage express. I had loads of rubbish ones :)) but it was fun..

But now you can just do it with google.

Good thing is that you can add google pay to your stuff and flog it online without any hassle. all built in :-bd

I have a site on HH amps from the 70's somewhere, cant find it now x_x
slim

Post by slim »

Thanks for the tips BA, I have never looked at building a website before but don't suppose its much different from setting up a free forum which I have done a couple of times (easy) will definitely look at what google has to offer

Booked in for my carpal tunnel op in a few weeks so wont be able to do too much after that for a while, I thought that was the perfect time to dick about on the net seeing if I can build a website :)
never surrender !
badanimal
The Gatekeeper

Post by badanimal »

slim wrote:Thanks for the tips BA, I have never looked at building a website before but don't suppose its much different from setting up a free forum which I have done a couple of times (easy) will definitely look at what google has to offer
Easier than that nowadays.. it's all done with their online web builder.. Just add pics and text boxes and it's done.

Great thing about the Google one is that it can use stuff off your Gdrive..

I did read that you can actually use the Gdrive space to hold a website made by hand with frontpage or any old style html tools, if you wanted to.

But the web way is easy enough.

The address for these free sites is pretty naff.. but you can go somewhere like godaddy and fork out a few quid for a .co.uk or whatever..
and then you get a box to put your freebie web address in and it just redirects.. posh names domain forwarding

So it looks like the domain is connected to you..

last .co.uk i got was 3 quid, and just redirected it to my website.

Dont have to be anything fancy - just a page of pics that you can tell people to go look at.

All this Google ranking will give you a headache.. and cost..
slim

Post by slim »

Once again thanks for all the info BA & thanks for the electrical advice too :-bd

The lamp is mostly done, just got to add some rings for the wiring to run through, clean it down & lacquer it, the thing really is a monster at over 6' tall & I reckon once he's added the bulb holder & bulb (E27) its going to be pushing 6'6" :-o

Just sent the folk who asked for it some pics, cant get a pic of the whole thing really so had to photo separate sections, lets hope they like it so far :-s
never surrender !
slim

Post by slim »

The monster, I haven't done anything that big in a very long while, just waiting for the lacquer to arrive then its done & gone :)

While I was waiting for various bits to cool I got bored so knocked this up, if you remember I said I didn't particularly like the lights I made before as they were not my idea, this was & I like it a lot, it adjusts nice & smoothly, cant wait to get it wired up :)

never surrender !
badanimal
The Gatekeeper

Post by badanimal »

Wow.. behemoth :-o

I like them both :-bd

Thats a great little desklamp :-bd
slim

Post by slim »

Cheers BA :-bd
never surrender !
slim

Post by slim »

I stuck a G4 led in the little lamp & fired it up off a 9v battery for a few seconds, its surprisingly bright :) just waiting on wire, a switch & plug thing to arrive then will get it sold

As I like the lamp I made a bigger version that's a bit different & holds 2 of the same G4 led's not tried that yet but expect it to be pretty good, a few have seen it & like that one too, could have sold both as is yesterday but want to see them properly finished first

Below are the last two side tables I made to very specific sizes & finish for a lady that picked them up yesterday, difficult to photograph but I'm sure you get the idea, she & her old man were really chuffed & now she is thinking about a coffee table to match :)

In other news the people that ordered the monster lamp are pissing me around, they love it & its exactly what they asked for but they have made no attempt to pick it up or more importantly pay for the sodding thing and its in my way X(
Trying to hold my tongue on that one as its a mates daughter but I feel an explosion coming on soon & it wont be pretty ! its not like they are short of a few quid !
I could have sold it more than once & might just do that anyway then tell them to feck off when they ask about it, one thing is certain I wont be making them anything else whatever happens & I wont be doing anymore work on their big posh house either ;)
never surrender !
mike-rf600r
Exhaust Technician

Post by mike-rf600r »

Wouldn’t cut that tie with the client that not paid. Wait it out. Thy are the kind of people you could get more work off from people who visit them and see your work the. Say oh I want something like that. You will just have to say things in a polite but firm way

Item now finished as you know, would like to know when you will be collecting and paying. Sooner rather than later. And if not picked up within a week I have other interest in it so will have to sell it on.

Kind regards slim

Words to that effect perhaps . :))
Ride it like you stole it! - Bikes are for life, not just sunny days....
slim

Post by slim »

:)) Mike you've gone all sensible on me :-o :))

Its good advice mate but I'm stuggling to keep my temper to be honest, its the attitude I find annoying, IE feck him, he can wait, typical of a lot of folk that were born in the gutter then made a shed load of money by possibly nefarious means, I should have known better than to do anything for them again

I have told them its done, that I need paying for it & even that don't mind delivering it to them ............ response zero !
never surrender !