result of cooking comp

Non members can enter here but to read only.
Describe your non biking hobby here (keep it clean) and post a few pics if applicable but please make sure they are not massive and don't overload it with pics

Moderators: suzukigoof, b00geyman, novocaine, jaz66, rodge, badanimal

rf ro
Domino King

result of cooking comp

Post by rf ro »

ok as a few of you already know i work as a chef and have done so for 35 years at the top and bottom of class restaurants blah blah . each week i will set you a task of giving us your recipe for a dish and at the end of said week i will choose the best and the winner will get a Image and the rest of us can try it if we want. OK there was a good response to the spag bol recipe and my winner this week is OLLIE olliehttp://www.rfownersclub.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=558&start=10 well done m8 the one thing i would say is that whenever you use tomato puree or tinned , put a spoon full of sugar and cook. balance the flavour with salt to taste for a more luxurious dish finish with a knob of butter melted into the sauce here is your golden hat mate wear it with pride Image :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: thanks to the other members who sent in recipies check them out
you can't make an omelette without breaking BREAKING eggs
rf ro
Domino King

Re: result of cooking comp

Post by rf ro »

ok this week we need a recipe for Image yep cottage pie
you can't make an omelette without breaking BREAKING eggs
jaz66

Post by jaz66 »

Hi rf ro
Couldn't get the link to work M8

So have stuck ollies recipe on here for now for everyone to try......Yum. :)

OK
Toms (peeled, Plum or vine finely chopped or gently blitzted in the Mouli) 1 per person
Meat: Finest beef or lamb mince you can buy (100grms per person)
Onion; freshest you can buy (1/2 onion per person)
Celery; ditto above (3 stalks should do it for 4 people)
Carrots; ditto again (as a side dish; steamed)(optional)
Olive oil (2 table spoons to fry Onions)

Spagetthi (freshly made if possible or from a packet as I do)

Method:
Chop onion (some say fine I like chunky) and sweat very slowly in a large thick bottom pan.
When the onions are lovely and soft is the time to turn on the heat to about half and add the meat.
Don't increase the heat too quickly but in stages.
Add the meat a bit at a time e.g a ladel full at a time.
Keep stirring
Time to stick on the Spag. Boiling water and give a twist at the waist as you drop it in to stop it sticking.
Also you can steam the carrots on top of the spag.
Slowly add the chopped toms to meat and onions. Very gently simmer for a few mins.
Add celery to meat mixture.
Keep stirring
Once the meat is looking dark or brown is the time to taste the sauce.
This is where personal taste comes in.
I like to add any kind of sweet herb I have growing in the garden (but not too much) or seasoning.
If you like your spag bol to be very tomatoey you could add some tom puree.

This is not your typical off the shelf type of Spag Bol.
You can add a little ground Nutmeg near the end if you like, also you do not have to use the fresh ingredients tinned is OK but you won't get that lovely sweet bolognease flavour. The meat can be any old kind of minced do dah but best lean steak mince is best.

Finally eat with a bit of salad and your mouth.
Ta Da :ymhug:
Drac
Location: South Gloucestershire (5m to Bristol & 13m to Bath)

Post by Drac »

Cottage Pie - Drac Style

To start with neither Emerald or myself are lovers of minced beef or pork so we tend to use quorn mince. We are not veggies but both find the tast and often the texture of red meat not to our liking.

I never wight anything, just put in what I know is enough for two - years of experience I suppose being the chef of the house.

Ingredients

Sauce
Onion
Oil
Carrot
Red Wine
Quorn Mince
Tomato Sauce
Salt
Pepper
Garlic (optional)

Mash
Potatoes
Butter
Milk
Cheese
Salt

Turn on the oven to 200

Boil some potatoes in salted water and boil until soft.

Chop some onion and saute that, on a medium heat, in some olive oil or vegetable oil.

Once the onion is softened enough, add the quorn and mix together well so the quorn gets the onion and oil in it.

Add a little crushed garlic, season it with salt and pepper.

Add some tomato sauce (as its cheaper to use than buying puree or passata)

Crumble a couple of oxo beef cubes into the pan with the quorn and onion and add a mixture of red wine and water. Thicken with cornflour, stirring continuosly until you get the thickness you are looking for.

Dice some carrots and gently cook for about 15 mins. Drain and add to the sauce.

Taste again and add more seasoning if required

Drain the potatoes and mash using a generous knob of butter, add some milk to make the potato a nice thick consistency, add some grated cheese and mash together until thick and creamy.

Place the sauce into an ovenproof dish and let it cool.

Place the mashed potato over the sauce, trying not to put too much in one area or it will sink into the sauce.

Melt some butter on the mashed potato

Use a Knife blade or a fork to make a pattern on the mash then pop the dish into the oven until the top of the pie is a nice golden brown colour.

Serve with Sprouts or any green veg of your choice