RF OWNERS CLUB

For RF900, 600 and 400 Owners (and any Biker who wants to join us)
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Distractions
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:02 pm 
Exhaust Technician

I have to put the business cap on sometimes mate. Gotta look at the potential Bigger picture atm your pushed up against te current picture and can’t even see that as your too close so to speak.

That’s how posh people are or should I say can be as not always that way. You’ll get your money if not if they local enough turn up with it and say it’s here if you want it. Put them on the spot. Then say if not I have another buyer so we’ll call it quits but please don’t waste my time again. Time is money after all taking up space wanting to move onto other projects etc etc.

Basically you need to sort that chip out on your shoulder mate. If they don’t want it now move on be civil but firm don’t cock up chances of future business due to your chip. As you said you have interest in it so it’s no bother if they don’t have it really.

Only putting it that way as I have a similar chip and done myself out of easy money in the past because of it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:35 pm 

You are right of course Mike :-bd

I do have a chip on my shoulder at times mate, with this I struggled to do what they wanted as quickly as they asked so have a whole bucket full of the little buggers sat there nagging away at me :ymsigh:

I really dont mind if I make something for the hell of it & it sits around for months but when i'm asked to do something specific for someone at an agreed price to a timescale & they cant be arsed to pay up it really rubs me up the wrong way, thankfully it does not happen often

Message sent asking if they want the fecker or not but in a polite way as advised :)
Lets see what happens today but if there is no response again I will be on to the other folk that showed an interest tomorrow, then if it sells tough, these folk can have another made at full price & pay in advance or its not happening

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:02 pm 
Exhaust Technician

Excellent, yup that’s firm but fair. :-bd

Just a suggestion. Maybe for any future commissions maybe worth asking for a 25-50% deposit that can go towards making costs but also they are more inclined to see the deal through if are already out of pocket so to speak. Roots out time wasters then too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:51 am 

Great advice Mike ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^

Good luck Slim you got the inside track from Mike there, and i think you are onto something with what you are doing :-bd Soon (very soon) internal combustion motors will be yesterday's betamax. There will be a market for 'Nostalgia-Nox' That piston/light is the way to go- start with small trinkets to get people talking - could go a long way IMHO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:35 am 

Thanks for putting me straight gents :-bd

I think where I have been going wrong is by thinking of this as something to keep me occupied rather than as a small business /:)

I'm certainly not looking to make it a full time occupation or looking to make a fortune out of it, been there, done that in the building trade & really don't need the stress anymore but yes you lads are right so business cap is now firmly on when it comes to people asking for specific stuff :-bd

So the damn lamp ...... i got a message back, yes they like it & yes they want it so i replied pick it up by saturday or its sold elsewhere, I did it in polite way but left no doubt that they would lose it if they didnt pick it up

Another guy asked about a table, seeing what i make for himself & if delivery was possible (its not far) i replied that he was welcome to come & see what i do, discuss what he wants and that delivery would be a tenner for fuel..... no reply :-\

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:04 am 
Exhaust Technician

Your in control so you make it as stress free or stressful as You like. Don’t want the joy to be sucked out of it and ruining a hobby for you.

Keep up the good work. If can do something you enjoy that can Earn you a few extra ££ to help make
Life a bit More comfortable or being able To save more or whatever your goal can’t be bad.

I’m currently trying to find something to get into as a by the book on the side venture. It’s quite hard to know where to start or what to get into.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:43 pm 

:-bd No stress now I got my head on straight Mike :D

As for something to get into there is very little you can do without spending a few quid to accumulate a few quid & a lot depends on how much you can afford or are willing to risk along with whatever skills you have

just as an example I used to buy & sell bikes quite a lot & once I had a few quid in the pot concentrated on what I called grand bikes (£1000) the reason for this is most wouldn't need much doing to them & a lot bought for 7 to £800 would take a weekend of cleaning & nothing else to flip for an average £200 profit or more on occasion, cheaper stuff usually meant more work and having to spend out to make the same profit ;)

You could do that if you buy sensibly but you will get stung once or twice if doing it all the time, remember the first profit is the best even if its only £50 smile & move on to the next one that could make £500 if you are lucky

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:13 pm 
Exhaust Technician

I’ve started doing that but using my bosses money so the profits are slimmer as split them 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

I’ve thought more about the bike thing but with margins at that small amount for the outlay makes it more risky for me. I can make more on exhausts and to me less stress as I know my market. Just want something more consistent is all month to Month. I can’t complain but I am =))

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:00 am 

Sold a few things recently & the Rf is gone so the new bike fund is beginning to look a little more healthy :-bd:

The table I was commissioned to make to match the two blue side tables seen hereabouts somewhere

A clock I made as a thank you for a friend who had supplied a load of parts when I was too skint to be able to pay for them, she was really chuffed with that :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Another lamp made for a bloke who already has 3 side tables, there is another as well but I didn't get a pic of that

Lastly the small coffee table I had made previously but then refinished because I was bored sold to a bloke who also bought another item when he picked it up today :D

The same bloke has also sold another item for me already & thinks he cans shift quite a few more pieces though his shops :D I am hoping that could turn out to be a good thing & we can both make a few quid

Best of all the bloody damn monstrous lamp is finally gone from under my feet :-bd: the folk that originally asked for it phoned mid week only to be told its gone but if you still want one its x amount upfront & the waiting time is a month+ :laughing-rolling: couldn't help myself :Snigger:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:33 am 

I'm loving the Clock and lamp! Hand Made in :flags-wavegreatbritain: :-bd:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next