Hardknott and Wrynose Pass ?

Non members can enter here but to read only.
Write your favourite routes for a ride out here.

Moderators: suzukigoof, b00geyman, novocaine, jaz66, rodge, badanimal

RockyDave

Hardknott and Wrynose Pass ?

Post by RockyDave »

Always enjoyed the Hardknott and Wrynose pass in the Lake District in the car... Narrow road, steep slopes and sharp bends. Have heard that bikers use it, but it's definitely hairy! Anyone tried it?
Why did I buy an RF after 40 years away from riding... Everyone's entitled to a mid-life crisis. I've waited for it, I've worked for it, and I'm gonna have it!!!
fastfitter
Techy & Electrickery Bod & Official RFOC TV Critic

Re: Hardknott and Wrynose Pass ?

Post by fastfitter »

Did 'em many years ago in the old Maestro - demonstrated to Mrs FF the meaning of brake fade =))
suzukigoof

Post by suzukigoof »

do them quite regularly through the summer m8, but they can be VERY technical... once you get to know it and can keep away from slow cars, its a cracking ride... UP the way not so hot on the way down... :lol:

favourite (close to hand anyway) has got to be hartside.... both up and down, but i nearly clobbered a bike going up from the Alston side last year... totally my fault, tried opening a corner without looking properly... weren't really close but we were doing enough speed to make it seem closer than it was...

favourite favourite route though is my front door, up to ayr, loch lomond, glencoe, spittal of glenshee and back down again if coming home same day (must admit the old knees are starting to protest to the miles though), if staying overnight (usually dornoch) then its back along to ullapool and down west coast, applecross, lochcarron and eilean donan castle, commando memorial at spean bridge, then back onto glencoe...

:ymdaydream: :ymdaydream: :ymdaydream: :ymdaydream: :ymdaydream: :ymdaydream: :ymdaydream: :ymdaydream: :ymdaydream: :ymdaydream: :ymdaydream: :ymdaydream: 8) 8) 8) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Last edited by suzukigoof on Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JUST RIDE IT
RockyDave

Post by RockyDave »

Fantastic! Would have thought a mid-size adventure bike would be more suitable. Do you do it on an RF900?
Why did I buy an RF after 40 years away from riding... Everyone's entitled to a mid-life crisis. I've waited for it, I've worked for it, and I'm gonna have it!!!
suzukigoof

Post by suzukigoof »

na last couple years it was a FJ1200, did do it for the very first time on the RF but took it VERY easy.... mate i go with, his girlfriend stays in lakes and he does it on a busa... usually 2 up... :fool: :fool: :fool: :fool: he leaves me for dead.... as i say only on the way UP, WAY more sensible going down.... avoiding the gravel on corners can be a bitch if there been rain....plus cars X( X( X( throw it onto middle road as well.... ;)
JUST RIDE IT
suzukigoof

Post by suzukigoof »

RockyDave wrote:Fantastic! Would have thought a mid-size adventure bike would be more suitable. Do you do it on an RF900?

funnily enough.... grahame (mate with g/f in lakes) was up last week, and came up on 4 guys on bmw gs's, he thought he was going to have some fun but wasn't expecting to keep up with them boys..... 20-30mph they went up... he was so disappointed.. i p***ed myself when he told me....
JUST RIDE IT
RockyDave

Post by RockyDave »

Would love to ride those Scottish roads!!! What speed can you get up to on the Hardnott and Wrynose?
suzukigoof

Post by suzukigoof »

if you want to see the other side m8, not fast... most the corners as you'll know are down to 1st gear and you very rarely get out of 3rd/4th, in fact its actually nice to stay in lower gears and use them.... well personally anyway... speed wise.. if you get above 50mph, time to give up your day job and go ride with suzuki wsb team god knows they need some help..... =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
JUST RIDE IT
RockyDave

Post by RockyDave »

Sorry, wasn't implying that you should go any faster than that... Personally I don't think I would have the bottle to take that route on a bike, especially not a heavy sports tourer. Most impressed that it can be done on a bike!
Drew

Post by Drew »

If you want a taster of what Hartside, Wrynose and Hardknot pass are like to ride go for a brew at Rivi barn but make sure you go via this road. But take it steady first time over, no where near as bad as those 3 but is quite a fun ride.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/53.62 ... m0!1m0!3e0
RockyDave

Post by RockyDave »

Just done Rivi in the car at night... Great fun! Thanks for the suggestion. Can't wait to do it on the Suzi. Rivington Hall Barn looks like a beautiful place to stop as well... and free parking... Perfecto!
:P