Bike of the Month - May 2009 - FARLEY 8'S RF600

Members will be approached and asked to submit an article and pictures (can be taken from photobucket) of their bike. Don't ask us - we will ask you. rfinfo#

Moderators: suzukigoof, b00geyman, novocaine, jaz66, rodge, badanimal

Drac
Location: South Gloucestershire (5m to Bristol & 13m to Bath)

Bike of the Month - May 2009 - FARLEY 8'S RF600

Post by Drac »

The story of my ownership goes as such, i did have a P reg ZX 6 Ninja, a bike i thought i always wanted, oh how reality bites, i always thought the bike was going to kill me, to the point where i hit a pot hole and spent the next half an hour at the side of the road with tears in my eyes, I was in so much pain. This affected me so much I sold all my kit and the bike with the famous last words, that’s it - no more bikes!!

I then remember sitting on the M1 on a Friday afternoon for about 2 hours in traffic thinking what an idiot I was. The RF was a bike I had always wanted, loved the style, the fact it was not trying to be something it was not, what is wrong with a bike that is fast enough for mere mortals but is comfortable enough to ride all day???

I purchased the one I have, from South Leicester, £800, P Reg. Turquoise with black vents and wheels, black screen with only 9500 on the clock a little cosmetic damage, but it was all there and a true RF. I duly spent the next few weeks stripping all the essentials brakes (seized solid) re fitted the micron exhaust (from the brackets not for the RF 6 but does the job) new pads later was time to ride, after I sorted the front end problem finally traced to sticking piston in brakes and knackered head bearing.

The thing handles pretty well for an old girl, in stark contrast to the Ninja, it is very forgiving and helps you to ride fast. i find it very comfortable and easy to ride, being very stable on fast sweeping bends. As for mods, it now wears very nice silver Goodridge hoses I got from Busters, paid about £10 per line as they were listed as budget!! Nice surprise there. I asked if anyone on the owners club had a K&N for sale and BRADLAD came up trumps, duly fitted and is now a lot better.

I love the way whenever I go anywhere it still gets questions about what is it etc. I also like the fact it surprises more than a few newer bikes, with the way it goes. The only down side is the tank range, but i have got used to that and its not so much of a problem. I ride everywhere with a ALDI special tank bag, can't rate them enough never moves and big enough for daily use (£19!! bargain)

For the future, I am more than happy with the RF6 (although can't help wondering what the 9 is like). I keep finding excuses for longer and longer rides, I can only regret not finding the RF series quicker and can only praise it for rebuilding my shattered confidence.

Next on my wish list (thankfully Mrs Farley 8 doesn't see this!!)

New shock (bids on e bay await results!)
try some Avon tyres
progressive forks springs
new exhaust can (micron a bit too civilized)
and whatever else takes m fancy/wallet will allow
and maybe scratch that nagging 900 itch and start all over again oh the joy of a big garage and a very understanding partner who loves bikes!!!

long live the RF!!
farley 8

Re: Bike of the Month - May 2009 - FARLEY 8'S RF600

Post by farley 8 »

cool my name in lights well happy, so is miss FARLEY 8, as a bit of an update, i have now fitted a brand new Yamaha R6 (2008) rear shok, which now it has bedded in is fantastic and really shows up the standard shok, its adjustable for everything but was a complete swin to fit and the worst thing is you can't really see my new bling Bugger!!, i have also tried 10W fork oil but that was a bit of a disaster as the front went rock hard and was skipping over bumps and white lining really badly gone back to 5W and much happier,

now about that re spray HMMMMMMMM! =@
task

Post by task »

:D well done m8. like your write up.
dg

Post by dg »

Congtrats, Nice bike Farley 8. (*)
:-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd
Too worn out to ride - too young to die.
Dave G Hackett.
CopyCat

Post by CopyCat »

nice bike mate.

ya forgot to wrap the link for your sig image in the tags...
Drac
Location: South Gloucestershire (5m to Bristol & 13m to Bath)

Post by Drac »

CopyCat wrote:ya forgot to wrap the link for your sig image in the tags...
I've edited the above post as it wasn't in farley 8's sig - also put it into photobucket and linked it from there - added it to his signature
rf ro
Domino King

Post by rf ro »

well done there im liking the blue m8 \m/
you can't make an omelette without breaking BREAKING eggs
RF jockey
Starship Captain
Location: Gedney Drove End.....err. halfway between Boston and Kings Lynn

Post by RF jockey »

Great blue...cool bike. 8-)
shandy

Post by shandy »

Nice! One thing to watch out for- that 9 itch could cause a rash! Don't scratch it.

you know what can originally off?
farley 8

Post by farley 8 »

in answer shandy i have no idea what its off, i know its not right as the power has a flat spot at 5k nothing serious and i hardly know about it now, just ride around it

as for the 9 itch i am at that cross roads, i have spent tonnes on this and need to spend another bit, to get it the way i want, however, I NEED MORE POWER!!!!! i commute 80 - 90 miles a day and i am afraid it may kill the little thing

might see if anyone up for a swap or something want to keep in the RF family 8) 8)
farley 8

Post by farley 8 »

just an update for anyone reading this i have now got the flat spot sorted (just needed carbs balancing)

just spent 3 hours at my brothers race shop sorting out rear chain was making funny noise when accelerating found the soft link had split (not been put on correctly in first place by previous owner) new one on is great now

i have also set up the new Yamaha R6 shock and the handling has been transformed just goes to show if you get someone on board who knows their stuff, this bike now handles better than it has any right to

the dilemma i have know is that i have come to the end of what is reasonably possible to do with the bike, i have improved the bike no end and it might be time to move to something bigger

so if anyone wants to part with £850 for a very well sorted 6 then let me know!!!!