Bike of the Month - April 2009 - BRADLAD’S RF900

Members will be approached and asked to submit an article and pictures (can be taken from photobucket) of their bike. Don't ask us - we will ask you. rfinfo#

Moderators: suzukigoof, b00geyman, novocaine, jaz66, rodge, badanimal

Drac
Location: South Gloucestershire (5m to Bristol & 13m to Bath)

Bike of the Month - April 2009 - BRADLAD’S RF900

Post by Drac »

I bought my 95 RF900Rs in Feb 2008 from a friend, she was slightly damaged to the left side due to a low side on diesel so I decided to " make her mine "..

She was originally the metallic red that the majority of 95/96 RF9's come in so decided on something different.

After scanning the SOC gallery I came across Drac's blue and white one, thought " oooh! That’s for me! " and sent him a message asking for more pics, and of course if he minded me copying.. of course he didn’t mind, and sent me some great pics to work from.

So I got down to it.. got her in the garage and started attacking her with various weapons of mass destruction ( tools to normal people )

First thing I did was strip her to the frame and give her a bloody good clean. I then sprayed the frame satin black and after giving her a service and grease set about the panels.

The panels were slightly harder than I anticipated, the repair was no problem as the hole was only the size of a 50p piece, however the original Suzuki paint didn’t seem to like the undercoat..

After over a week of spraying, red leeching through, rubbing down and more painting I decided enough was enough so took it back to the plain plastic underneath.. that cured it..

However I did find out that if I hadn’t rubbed the Suzuki paint as much it wouldn’t have leeched, seemingly modern primers only need a light sanded base as a key, I remembered that for the next time.

Anyway, she was all together with the shiny white panels on ready to go for blue vinyl striping, when I looked at her and thought " erm.. I actually like her plain white.." so plain white she stayed.

So, after about 4 weeks work she was ready for MOT.

First time pass with compliments from the tester.

For the first few weeks I went all over on her, covering 2000 miles in the first month, however I started to get a niggling inclination all was not rosy..

I suffer from arthritis in my right hip and found that if I rode for more than an hour I would start to become seriously uncomfortable, then I noticed I was having to use my walking stick a lot more.

Putting 2 and 2 together I realised it was due to the high pegs and forward canted riding position, this was not good.

I love the bike, so couldn’t face getting rid of her but something needed doing so as I couldn’t afford the needed modifications I just decided to go on rides no longer than an hour, now this wasn’t perfect but it meant I could still keep her and ride her.

Summer passes into autumn and then winter, having done plenty of cold and wet in the past the bike comes off the road for a winter " service "..

Another complete strip down for clean and grease, then Russell sends me his shorter dog bones so I can raise the rear end, I see an affordable undertray so that is purchased and decide to sort the slipping clutch...

So over this last winter she has had new wheel bearings front and back, new clutch plates, rear raised by 40mm, undertray fitted, all fluids changed and new oil filter and the forks rebuilt.

Spring returns and she’s back on the road, she now has bar risers fitted and a Tony Archer seat, I'm ordering the vario peg lowering kit next week.. so she should be like riding a cruiser soon... back to the big miles..

I can’t wait.

Spec:

1995 RF900Rs
One off white paint with black frame.
Dynojet stage 1 jet kit
K&N high flow air filter
Suzuki full race stainless exhaust
4 deg ignition advancer
iridium twin spark plugs
Avon Storm ST tyres with a 180 section rear

colour matched hugger
colour matched undertray