Bike of the Month - Musicmans ZX9R C2 - November 2010

Members will be approached and asked to submit an article and pictures (can be taken from photobucket) of their bike. Don't ask us - we will ask you. rfinfo#

Moderators: suzukigoof, b00geyman, novocaine, jaz66, rodge, badanimal

Drac
Location: South Gloucestershire (5m to Bristol & 13m to Bath)

Bike of the Month - Musicmans ZX9R C2 - November 2010

Post by Drac »

Been along this road many times (Quite possibly a private road), a ‘blast’ off the roundabout, then plenty of open straightish dual-carriageway with good visibility. Always a chance for the obligatory showing off to the usual long line off stationary vehicles stuck on the other side of the road. No vehicles to block my path so ‘Light the touch paper’ and go....... way up ahead is a new shape Jaguar sports in the overtaking lane, 4.2 litres of Wildcat just waiting for the plodders to vacate the lane. I know he’s seen me come up rather swiftly, as the tell-tail puff of strained engine exhaust exits from both tail-pipes as he either selects a lower gear, or uses the auto kickdown. The lane clears and with ‘forth’ already chosen, I easily keep station behind as he accelerates. Once it dawns to Mr Wildcat that the bike behind is not going away, he pulls in to the left allowing me to show him that I was not actually trying that hard anyway....

I know its all very childish, but isn’t this what fast bikes and cars do, tap into that young person in us all, re-kinderling memories off forgotten moments and posters on bedroom walls.

The model I have is the second attempt by Kawasaki with the ‘9’ in the class. The previous model (B series) although a typically fast bike in the Kawasaki tradition (125BHP), was deemed rather portly, and this compromised handling. Compared to the then lithe original ‘Blade’ it was more destined to a ‘Sports-Tourer’ role, which it fitted perfectly. The ‘C’ version launched in 1998 ( C1) was all together a more serious attempt at the ‘Sports’ title. Weighing in less fully fuelled than the ‘B’ model dry, a slimmer silhouette, improved swinging-arm and power now up to 148BHP, it held the top honours from the equivalent year ‘Blade’ which had gone the other way and gained the pounds. Not for long unfortunately, as very soon after Yamaha launched the nutcase called the R1!!!

The ‘C2’ is now classed as a sporty sports-tourer, with the emphasis slightly towards the sport. With Bridgestone BT-016’s on it handles well for what compared to todays miniature offerings, is a large bike. This works well for bigger riders, and I find no problem getting comfortable at 5’9”. New bikes from 600cc up would eat it for breakfast on a track, however on todays congested roads the more relaxed riding position is good for longer trips and the sunny Sunday blast. The pillion seat is also very comfortable compared to the seats on modern sports bikes, thanks for my wifes imput there!! This all makes the ZX9 a great road bike.

Great road bikes also need the right engine, and the ZX9 does not disappoint. With a full fat 148 bhp, 74 ftlbs of torque and a genuine top speed well north of 170 mph the ZX9 was always at the sharp end in its day. These figures are not that far off today, and endow the ‘9’ with a fair turn of speed if required. Pull is lively up to 3000 revs, very swift to 8000 revs and completely bonkers for here up to the red-line. A certain recent magazine review said – ‘ rev the ZX9 hard and not much will pull away’.
I have read ( although I ‘honestly’ don’t do them!!) that power wheelies are easy in 1st and 2nd gear. I have no doubt this is true, as when I rev out the bike in 3rd, the front wheel skips on and off the road, and the front goes light. but this is not ‘Big’ and its not ‘clever’ children and I know you all refrain from this nonsense!!!! Dont you!!!

Suspension is fully adjustable, although I have found that the stock settings are more than adequate for normal riding whether one or two up. With 15,000 now on the clock, the suspension is still fit and capable. Stopping is taken care of by 6-piston callipers at the front, and although the press have slated them for lack of feel, and a tendency to let the levers come back to the bars in stock form, I have not noticed any problems. I have heard they can warp the discs but as I have said, I have had no problems, and even from silly speeds, I have had no fade or lack of power.

I have found the finish on my bike to be very good, with he only minor headache being the usual thin paint on the wheels. ( A typical problem for this age of ZX9 ).

Paint is good elsewhere, and the plastics have not shown any signs of cracking or hardening. I do however have a judicious cleaning regime, after every ride.(Yes I would buy a bike off myself!)

The Kawasaki ZX9 is very tough in all departments, and I have not had a single thing go wrong. The magazines have reported that some, and I reiterate only ‘some’ ‘C’ models have had problems with third gear. This is something to do with the splines on the gear not fully meshing and so wearing faster. I have had no sign of this and my box is sweet. For the record though, you RF900 owners may take heart in the knowledge that your boxes are snickety snick smooth compared to the 9’s. Although the ‘9’ is not bad, you do have to ‘put’ it in gear, and it doesn’t like limp changes. My Suzuki was smooth, it was in gear before I thought about it!!!

Would I recommend the ZX9. Definately! As an alternative to the RF9 or just if you feel like a change then try one. I would say its slightly more on the sporty side compared to the RF9. In the real world there is not much to pick between them in handling and performance, however, because the ZX9 pillion sits higher up and is more exposed to the wind rush, I would pick the RF9 for long-distance 2-up riding every time The ZX has a power advantage, so may be slightly quicker at the top end of the rev range, and I would recommend you ride one flat out through the gears for the experience of the fantastic howl of the airbox.
rf ro
Domino King

Re: Bike of the Month - Musicmans ZX9R C2 - November 2010

Post by rf ro »

i loved my zx9 which was the B model,
it was arm wrenching, neck ache fast

great bike and great write up :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd
you can't make an omelette without breaking BREAKING eggs
Finbar

Post by Finbar »

Yes, nice bike there mate... :-bd
miff

Post by miff »

Nice looking bike 8-)
Bradlad

Post by Bradlad »

:-bd
Helping 1 person wont change the world,however it will change the world for that one person

RfGirl

Post by RfGirl »

well nice... :D
Tony V

Post by Tony V »

Lovely motor m8 and a well told history of the bike. you are obviously passionate about it. Well done :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
Never rub another mans rhubarb!
paul65

Post by paul65 »

nice write up i was thinking of these but then the tl made its self avaliable and the twin won my heart :-bd
hughie
The Geordie Destroyer

Post by hughie »

NICE BIKE MATE :)
HUGH EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

U.S.S WARWICK HUNT
polar2

Post by polar2 »

Nice write up and a great excuse to post a couple of pics of my '9's

First my B4 then my C2. Lovely bikes and I still miss them :( although both encouraged me to ride way too fast! My RF900 may not have the top end power but makes up for it by pulling much better low down and according to the missus is much more comfortable :D

Batmancaver

Post by Batmancaver »

A great write up and a lovely looking bike.
Have you convinced me to buy one? .... NO WAY? I go too fast on my RF600, let alone anything faster!

A neighbour of mine had a Ninja, though I don't know which specific model, he scratched it a little when he came round a bend and found a car heading towards him. He said it was hit the car or jump off :o He took the later option and escaped only with bruises. He has since packed in biking :( Mind you he did say he was doing over 120 on an A road!!!

I do like the look of the Ninja's but I think I wouldn't be safe on them, but that's my view. If you ride well enough for those speeds then enjoy it, and I bet you do!!
shandy

Post by shandy »

Luv em! So cool.
ADMAN

Post by ADMAN »

Yeah, the Ninja is the first real 'sportbike" I ever road as well. And, I could instantly tell that I was gonna get in a lot of trouble on it. So, I opted to wait a decade or so before getting my RF. Nice write up. Nice photos.

At least it isn't green. =:)
mastifbusa

Post by mastifbusa »

f**k that looks fast
the ugly american

Post by the ugly american »

I give it
a 7
out of 10.
Musicman

Post by Musicman »

the ugly american wrote:I give it
a 7ins
out of 10.
Cheers.... but what about the bike???? =)) :))
Musicman

Post by Musicman »

paul65 wrote:nice write up i was thinking of these but then the tl made its self avaliable and the twin won my heart :-bd
Funny thing is I looked at a TLR before i finally bought this. Love the sound of the twin! :thumright:
antwan64

Post by antwan64 »

Reving an old thread but seems the place to ask the question:

Would anyone consider a ZX9R C1 - E3 to be be an upgrade from an RF900 in terms of an evveryday bike.

On paper its newer, weighs 20Kg less has more power/torque and is still in the same bracket as a sporty sports tourer
Steve.J.W

Post by Steve.J.W »

antwan64 wrote:Reving an old thread but seems the place to ask the question:

Would anyone consider a ZX9R C1 - E3 to be be an upgrade from an RF900 in terms of an evveryday bike.

On paper its newer, weighs 20Kg less has more power/torque and is still in the same bracket as a sporty sports tourer

Personally no! I much prefer my late model RF900RW. :D

Granted the ZXR is lighter, easier to wheelie (got that out my system years ago) it's taunter on the steering and handling is a bit nimbler. But it lacks the manners and distinctive styling that the RF has.

Yes the RF is a bit heavier, but it's solid, handles well and is very dependable!

But to me it's head and shoulders above the so called competition... speed & power, it's got that, handling yeah it can be improved with a little tweak, looks that stand out, fuel economy that the others can only dream about .. but best of all, it's so bloody easy to work on! ^:)^

Add the fact that it's not run of the mill stuff, it creates comments... i.e. queries as to what it is, add to that it's cheaper to run, less likely to get stolen and above all, it works in all weathers. :D

If you want one... get one, I've ridden a few of the ZX9R's. I found them awkward around town, though not as much as a blade or r1, both of which knacked my wrists and neck.

My wife and daughter didn't like the high perch either, the RF is miles better for pillions. :good:

Get one by all means mate, or if you've got spare brass... then get the ZZR1200, great bike and fairly economical, easy to ride and great fun, either that or a really good low mileage ZZR1100D6 or D7. Failing that a Blackbird or FZ1. :-bd :ympeace:
antwan64

Post by antwan64 »

Thanks for that summary :)

Those are all the bikes I've been contemplating, all except the blackbird it doesn't seem as DIY friendly.

The only other one that makes surprising sense is a ZX12r with a jack up kit and renthal bars with handle bar risers :mrgreen: but this snow is dissuading me from that :-ss

I'm always abit surprised how genuinely good the RF is not only for a budget bike but in general, it does well at keeping the missus happy and stops me buying new toys!
Steve.J.W

Post by Steve.J.W »

antwan64 wrote:Thanks for that summary :)

Those are all the bikes I've been contemplating, all except the blackbird it doesn't seem as DIY friendly.

The only other one that makes surprising sense is a ZX12r with a jack up kit and renthal bars with handle bar risers :mrgreen: but this snow is dissuading me from that :-ss

I'm always abit surprised how genuinely good the RF is not only for a budget bike but in general, it does well at keeping the missus happy and stops me buying new toys!

Ha, ha .. know the feeling, women don't usually understand us lads need our toys. :lol:

Though .. I'm lucky, I've got a great lass, who's also very understanding and she likes bikes ... best of both worlds. :D

As for the Blackbird, having ridden both versions, I was tempted to get one .. my brother in law (Mall) had one of the last carb models, in a lovely cherry red, full history and 24'301 on the clock. I can confirm, they are a sod to service .. the RF9 is years ahead in accessibillity, especially to the engine / carbs. That's what makes servicing cheaper, as it's quicker. :-bd

Yes the blackbird is a great bike, great build quality ... but it knacked my wrists and shoulders.
I could of purchased Mally's, as he'd offered me his, for the amazing price of £1'500.00 which would of been a steal at that price. In the end, to keep the peace, I offered to sell it for him and obtained £2'750.00, to be fair to him, I'd of only sold it on and made a profit, I even told him!

But being Mall, he offered me a nice little bonus for selling it for him .. £150.00 for ten mins work, as it sold within a few minutes of being on eBay. :D Add to that, I'd already made my mind up to purchase an RF9 and got one, which is the main reason for not getting the bird!

The ZX12R is another kettle of fish .. it'll rip your arms off, it's fast as f**k, doesn't like slow town riding, so commuting on it is a no, no! It likes watching the clouds go by as it hurtles it's self and the rider into oblivion. Where as the ZZR1200 is slightly toned down, more user friendly and passengers tend to like the seat position. :-bd

Your choice mate ... if I were to get another sports tourer that's a bit more up to date, then I'd go for the ZZR1200, great ride and pretty easy to service and prices are slowly coming down, making them more accessible to the likes of me and others, on a budget! :ympeace:

Couple of pics of the bird that I sold for Mall..